Waitlisting for F award on ANA

Discussion in 'ANA | Mileage Club' started by sendaiben, May 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, very excited as possible first flight in F :D

Hoping to fly to JFK in March with my wife and am currently waitlisted on the 11am flight out of NRT on March 2nd.

Chances of award clearing?

2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    You chance will improve considerably if you switch to the UA flight :p

3. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Very unlikely.... you know this probably from reading all the posts about how ANA rarely clears waitlists.

sendaiben likes this.
  4. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    D'oh. Guess it's time for plan b then...

How about JAL?

5. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I haven't checked but you can look at the current load using flightstats. Just see how many F seats they are selling fright now to get an idea.

If you are using JMB miles, AA will welcome you will open arms on their HND flights :p obviously NH is a better choice given there's a SDJ-NRT flight so you don't have to take trains to NRT :)

6. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    We'll fly to NRT on NH, then take the SS7 F to JFK on JAL (booked last night). Pretty psyched as it will be our first flight in F :)

JALPak likes this.
  7. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy your flights. You won't be disappointed :) And please give us a detail trip report :)

8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    But be warned, you will get totally addicted :D

9. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    JAL actually do regularly clear waitlists unlike ANA but i guess this doesn't matter anymore. Enjoy your JAL F flight! or as JALPak calls it...fright!

10. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    fwiw, another data point...

Earlier this year, I booked one C award seat on NH using UA miles for travel last month JFK-NRT on the earlier flight. (NH9)

Tracked F award availablity ever since for several months after that from most US gateways.

@ 10 days prior to departure a NH F seat opened up SFO-NRT. The next day, another F seat opened up LAX-NRT. I passed on both.

Then, @1 week out a F seat opened up on JFK-NRT but only for the later flight. That seat vanished while on the phone with UA. :(

Finally @ 5 days out, another F seat opened up again on the later NH1009 JFK-NRT flight. Managed to grab that.

Fyi, after booking my initial C award back in Feb or March , in all the time tracking NH awards using the tools on wand.me, I never saw ANY award seat open again on NH9, the earlier JFK-NRT for my dates in mid May.

Just returned & really enjoyed the flight, especially the Japanese meal selection as it was something totally different than what I'm used to.

Plus, while I sweated arriving at NRT later, that flight F was only half full, allowing for use of an empty seat as a separate bed. That too just added to the great ride.

Good luck & enjoy!