Waitlist

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Aug 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have flight departing at 1730 on Friday want to depart at 1255 on Friday instead. Can I call to be waitlisted, if so up to 24 hours prior to my original flight? Or must this be done day of departure at the airport. I am not looking for a SDC

2. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a reason you would prefer to standby than to SDC?

3. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    SDC is the way to go. But if the earlier flight does not have the same fare class as you're booked in available then you have a couple of options:

1. Buy-up to the next available fare class on the earlier flight. You don't pay any change fees but you will pay the fare difference; or
    2. Go to the airport for the earlier flight and ask to be put on the standby list. Only airport agents or kiosks can do this - the phone agents can't help you. But standby as it your own risk. The fact you're 1K will put you towards the top of the list but you're not guaranteed to get a seat, of course.

-Rob

Wandering Aramean and sfo1 like this.
  4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't the fare classes all have opened up at T-3, if there are any seats at all?

5. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That doesn't universally happen anymore. I've seen it happen some flights, but on some I've seen it just hang out with the top few buckets at three or four.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, am coming by bus from Vancouver BC and if I do a SDC and the bus is late due to border traffic, I could miss the flight and as a SDC would be a no show and would loose my ticket. There are two flights prior to my booked flight so will take the chance of wait listing once I get to the airport, at least if I don't make either of them I am still protected on my original flight. Oh yes and one other thing, if the bus is late, can't call UA, gave up my cell phone.