Waitlist Upgrade Odds?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kevberhow, May 25, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. kevberhow

kevberhow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am booked on a B class fare NRT to IAD this weekend. Anyone know what my chances are for an upgrade if I choose that option? Right now, there are 3 seats showing open in Business but when trying to upgrade, it says waitlist only for the segment of the trip. I think 30k miles is well worth it for such a long flight considering it was booked last minute and the only available seat is a middle unless I pay for E+ which is almost $200. I'm trying to get the flight changed to Sunday which shows a lot more Business seats open, but if that doesn't pan out tomorrow, I'm stuck with this one.

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seat maps are a terrible indicator of availability. It's a much better idea to enable Expert Mode on your UA profile and check the fare buckets for the cabin you want to upgrade into as well as the upgrade buckets (R for Y>J, ON for J>F).

3. kevberhow

kevberhow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was able to move the flight to Sunday which had 6 R fares and was able to upgrade. My original question though was what are the chances of getting the upgrade if I chose to be waitlisted for the upgrade. Would someone who had an R fare have to change/cancel their flight to open one up? Or is it possible United would open up more closer to departure?

4. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    United opens stuff up, but as far as I can tell, the
    logic of its procedure is opaque.

Dublin_rfk and kevberhow like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might open. Or the seats might sell to a last minute passenger. Or a cash upgrade at check-in. There is no way to reliably know what the odds of an upgrade are if the space is not available at the time of the query.

kevberhow likes this.