Waitlist Update

Discussion in 'SMD4 (Star MegaDO #4)' started by tjcabq, Jun 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tjcabq
    Original Member

tjcabq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait list Update: OK, please update us on the waitlist fiasco. How many people cleared? Two, three, maybe four people?

It was advertized that there was ~ 25% no show rate last time around. How many will be no show tomorrow? Some of us are still waiting……crickets…... All the while I’m watching countless positions being given away after the event was “full”.

Was anything done for the group of people who signed up for the event…then told “sorry we messed up” we told you to sign-up in the wrong location, you lose your spot?

How many of the “+1” were reserved for TBD friends? Next time around someone will sign-up with a “Smith +75”, thereby cheating “real” people out of a position.

Where I work, we call this a negative learning experience, i.e. what not to do.

======break break======

OK, now that I got that out of my system, let’s look at how to make this better next time around. There needs to be a minimum effort to screen out the hoard of “freebee” grabbers. By making something completely free, you guarantee that a mad rush of people will take whatever slots are available. Just take a bag full of 20 dollar bills and throw them into the wind while standing in the middle of Times Square. People signup…and THEN decide it they’ll participate.

Solution: make the tickets have a perceived value, yet remain “non-profit” i.e. Make it a $20 donation to __________ charity, and collect it at the door. This will change the dynamic very quickly, and eliminate your 25% no-show rate because you’ll get people who truly intend to participate. Those of us who aren’t in front of a computer every second of the day will still have a chance, and you’ll eliminate the “mad grab” effect.

Bottom line: there’s many people who are UNNECESSARILY disappointed in how this played out, hopeful proactive measures are taken next time to eliminate this negative learning and make this a positive experience for everyone. I've been part of MP since it was in beta, active with Kive...and hope this turns out better next time around.

TJCABQ

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can tell you that of the hordes that showed up to hear the SMD2 announcement at Marina del Rey, only a dozen actually ended up signing on to the Do. And it was a mad scramble to try and fill the plane. The huge demand for the first ONEWORLD MegaDo seems to have created the impression that the 4th STAR MegaDo will have a similar sell-out, but experience tells otherwise. Yes, F will sell out over the weekend, but Y and TommyClass are likely to be around for quite a while based on the experience of the previous three STAR ones. Here's hoping the plans are worthy of a sell-out, and that unlike SMD3, everything advertised is actually delivered. I've been on all three, and hope to be one this one.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Just to put this in perspective with some facts. The master thread with the confirmed program was posted June 24th, booking opened June 29th. The charter first sold out on July 9th, we released some extra seats around then. The charter sold completely out July 14th.

Also, since you insist on continuing to beat this dead horse, the program that gets presented tomorrow is all subject to change. The only thing that is certain, are the dates and the charter flights. This event is an extremely complicating moving target with many moving parts. Jeff Smisek may say he'll show up, but his kid might be sick on the day of the reception. The FAA might forget to tell us that Canadian passport holders can't get a tour of the DIA tower so a handful of people will be disappointed.

Things happen, most people get that

If you can't live with that, I recommend that you don't sign up for a Mega DO.

As for the RSVP to the launch party, Thanks again for the feedback. I'll take any good suggestions! One thing is clear, we won't allow +1s next time.

We have actively contacted everyone with a +1 and there just hasn't been a lot of cancellations. We had to stop clearing people on Wednesday due to time constraint. We were set to have 80 people, milepoint and Randy stepped up and paid for more seats to give away increasing the chances for 20+ more people to join.

What initially happened with the sign up, was unfortunate. I was scheduled to have surgery on the day the launch party was set to open, it was supposed to be over by 10am, but I had to hang around in the prep area for the surgeon who was delayed. Gary had set the blog post to drop at noon, I was supposed to post at the same time. Unfortunately, I wasn't out of the hospital till 1230 and posted it immediately after.

With help from a member, we are planning on streaming the announcement live. Stay tuned for that!

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And to be clear, and I do apologize, I don't think anyone told folks to register in the wrong place. Rather, I posted on my blog that registration was open for the launch party when it wasn't open yet. So some folks came over, not seeing a place to register, posted in the main pre-discussion thread.

I was supposed to be on a plane, Tommy suggested I blog it at noon eastern on the day in question, so i pre-scheduled the post.

Very sorry about folks that were confused by that. Truly!

In any case, a big thanks to everyone putting the events together, they're true labors of love to create once in a lifetime experiences, the kind that get written about and have the whole country going "OMG!" and many of us have had the opportunity to experience them first hand, many more will have that opportunity going forward. You can't just buy this stuff at any price!

People work hard and do their best and hopefully everyone knows that this is all put together with the very best of intentions, hearts in the right place.

Cochiti, _kurt, ARLVACP and 10 others like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    No doubt many people have been disappointed.
    No doubt there is learning to do.
    No doubt it would be better if the organizers did not have day jobs.
    It would be easier for everyone if a sign up process were to contain only signups and no extraneous comments.
    It would be easier if we were an easier crowd to predict.
    It would be easier if all the sponsors and participants could make all their decisions before it became necessary to discuss us with it all.

It seems to me that in virtually all areas we all have strong opinions. Me too.
    Somehow I do think the next effort will be smoother than has been this one.
    Somehow I think everyone who actually goes on this one will end out very very happy.

6. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing is perfect, nothing will ever be perfect. We live and we learn. We should also appreciate!

7. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are always going to be problems when you have a capacity-limited event and demand that is much higher than that capacity. I deal with this on a regular basis for major concert events. Organizers keep trying to come up with better systems, but in the end it comes down to timing and luck.

Even if the party announcement had been synchronized perfectly, there still would have been a lucky 80 and 200 on the waitlist. The order would have been different and a different subset would be complaining about not getting in. Had it been a day earlier/later there would yet another different unhappy group. There is simply no right answer.

All that said, the one thing that I find inexcusable is the number of people that kept their reserved spot and then didn't show up, in the process preventing others from attending. Not cool. Sure it increased the raffle odds a bit for the rest of us, but I consider it an extremely selfish and douchey move.

I think it was said those would be banned from booking seats. I hope that is enforced.

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Much of the time, in much of the world, the problem is 'solved' by raising price until demand and supply match. Simple economics. But these events are about covering costs while making sure that above a certain level price isn't going to be the reason that someone does or doesn't get to attend. So that usual mechanism is out... (hey, in the case of the launch party the price was $0.. Tommy manages to convince sponsors to pick up the tab, in this case United, Hyatt, and Milepoint).

Firefly will have the official number but I'm pretty sure in the end it was no more than 10 people. Which is just context, not a disagreement.

9. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    From a fellow Canadian, we still appreciate all the hard work MegaDO organizers have put into this.

Sure we can disagree on anything and nothing is perfect.

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    For what it's worth, I can assure, everyone involved is doing their very best to put on the most awesome events possible for frequent flyers, at the lowest cost (hey, I hear the price of the launch party was $0), and make it available to as many interested folks as can possibly be handled. It's a lot of work, it's relatively thankless, and since everyone involved has a full-time job (at least!) it winds up getting squeezed in in between a lot of other stuff.

Not everyone will be pleased all of the time. But intentions are always in the right place, and I think it's fair to say that everyone that comes along for the ride gets substantially more than their money's worth.

When little snafus happen along the way, like my pre-posting something because I'll be in the air but it turns out that Tommy's surgery goes long, I'm happy to extend my apologies. But I also know up front that little things like that may happen. I want everyone to know that similar things could well happen along the way. And with that knowledge up front, folks can make an informed decision about whether these sorts of events are for them or not. Don't want anyone displeased, ever...

Cochiti, Theweeklyflyer, Sagy and 8 others like this.
  11. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hearing that of those with reserved slots didn't show up is frustrating for those of us that were on the wait list (okay, I was pretty far down). I was still looking at flights on Sat. a.m. that would get me to WDC for the party, but I never received the 'call.' Many of us that were on the waitlist, are actually planning on buying tix for the SMD4.

Add my vote to banning those no-shows from booking seats...I'm sure they'll come with some very interesting reasons for skipping it..........:mad:

Sagy, perryplatypus and NYCAdventurer like this.
  12. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see how you can get that upset, things happen and people don't make it. I am sure someone can confirm but I think people have missed the charter flight itself no? Do you feel if someone misses that the are taking something away from others?

13. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not upset, I said it is frustrating when people sign up to attend events and don't show up. Yes, things happen, but if at all possible, the person(s) who cannot make it, should cancel. If the folks that didn't show up and didn't cancel had officially canceled, then those folks at the top of the waitlist would have been cleared - those are the people who missed something because of it. I don't think you can take away something you never had...

It was different on the actual 'do, they sold your seat if you had to cancel. I think if you just don't show up, the $ you paid for the charter is not refunded, and whatever hotel cancellation policies apply.

perryplatypus likes this.
  14. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Speedy recovery tommy, and stop loading on the bacons :p

I better start writing to Santa for a spot........ Lol

15. Theweeklyflyer
    Original Member

Theweeklyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Zing! Ouch. What is wrong with bacon?

Seriously though, I think the effort put into the launch party was tremendous, especially for a $0 fee. Great job, I'm sure it will only get better next time.

wrxmom likes this.
  16. _kurt
    Original Member

_kurt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting that information. It's a perfectly reasonable and forgivable explanation for the confusion that some folks experienced with the launch party. In the absence of that information, I hope you'll understand why some thought it was a fiasco. In the end, no harm, no foul.