Waiting list at a sold-out property- potential diamond benefit?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by kw335, Jul 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I needed to book a room at the last minute at a local Hyatt Place this weekend- zero availability and none popped up throughout the day. Another Hyatt Regency that is 50 miles further did have some open up later on in the afternoon, which made me wonder whether room availability on hyatt.com is fluid.

I tweeted @hyattconcierge asking whether they have a way of "notifying" me if an inventory opens up later on in the day. Here's the reply: "no, most of our hotels no longer have a waiting list. You would just have to keep calling back to see if there's avail."

I know as a diamond, I would be guaranteed a room if it was booked less than 48 hours prior to arrival. I personally think it would be a valuable benefit if Hyatt would let us diamonds be put on a "waitlist" at a sold out property and be notified should a room becomes available. I try to stay at a Hyatt property whenever possible- and I had to just suck it up and stay at a Holiday Inn next door.

2. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This indeed would be great feature to have.

uggboy and Jubileesmom like this.
  3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that this would be a good benefit to have. Just thinking out loud on how they would make this happen.

First they'd need to prioritize the list. Would they just have a running list based on who was the first one to have called?

Second, many of us stay on different rates whether it be for corporate, client, government or leisure travel which all tend to have different availabilities. Assuming they would open rooms only to certain rates, would they need to keep track of the rates that we're trying to book as well and only call us to confirm based on our order on the list?

Third, I usually have a 6 PM day of cancellation policy which I assume many others do as well. If this is the case, by the time I am notified of a room opening at Hyatt, it is already too late to cancel my existing reservation. Would they have some cutoff point where they would notify us by which would also account for those on the list who do not end up wanting the room? (perhaps by Noon day of?)

Fourth, most of us like to know how long a line is before we get into it. Would there be visibility into it by the front desk, online reservations etc. so that we have some general idea of how likely we are to get a sold out room?

I agree that it'd be great to have this service but great care has to be taken into implementing this as there are many things that could go wrong which would make this sub-optimal.

4. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that there would be potentially some kinks and challenges in the waitlist system. I'd like to think that the list is better off managed by the specific property, rather than by corporate folks. In my case on Saturday, I actually waited and called the property around 6 or 7pm that evening and was told I had no dice.

5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would be really great if such benefit is available. Currently I want to add another room to my existing reservation but was told that the hotel is fully sold-out :(.