Waiting for the card, part 2

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by FlyingBear, Dec 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    So now that I've made 1K (4 weeks ago) and my previous Premier Gold card is technically expiring 9 days... how long will I have to wait before United sends me a new card?

Last go around, earlier this year, it took 4 months and numerous emails before I finally got sent the card. Have you guys been seeing an improvement in that particular department or will I have to send personal emails yet again?

Phorever likes this.
  2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many of us have gotten our packages for next year already.

Phorever and 8MiHi like this.
  3. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't it make sense almost if they processed these the 1st week of January?

I am hitting a new status tier 12/27 and I am guessing a lot of people may hit new tiers at the end of the year?

Just a thought.

4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Before the merger, they sent the card as I got the status. After the merger, and that's not just my experience, they first sent the stickers and then... nothing.

Also, it actually would not make sense to do in the first week of January, at least not for all people. My Premier Gold card shows by Star Alliance Gold status and allows for less of a hassle getting into lounges and using the different weight limits for checked luggage. Waiting for several months to send it out can be quite inconvenient.

Phorever and 8MiHi like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, it isn't.

The 2012 program cards expire on 31 Jan 2013.

genemk2, Ygor, mht_flyer and 3 others like this.
  6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hit new status on the 12th so my SO and I are waiting for our new cards. Historically PMCO would get me this year's higher status card even in December since Onepass 's year ran through February. I do not expect that but was hoping for a Christmas package from UAMP with the 2013 card(s). As for what to do now, well the computer shows the right status and I can print out the digital card in our accounts for proof.
    I am also looking forward to the 2013 rules.

Phorever likes this.
  7. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't you just show your boarding pass that says "premier gold" to get into the international lounge?

And when you check in at the airport aren't the bags just free when you check in as a gold?

I guess I just never use my card so I'm playing devils advocate...

It jut seems silly they might send me a silver package this week and a Gold package next week.

Not trying to be difficult... I was just making conversation ;)

8MiHi likes this.
  8. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point. I have actually been told to put away my card and just show the BP in non UC lounges.

desamo, IDGflygirl and Phorever like this.
  9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got mine about 60 days after going from Plat to 1K. As others have said, I don't ever need it, so don't know why it really matters. The two luggage tags that they send with each status level have never lasted more than 2 flights. Those plastic ties that they send with them are totally worthless.

10. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is an aspirational thing. Just as Croesus had to have his gold, I need my Premier Platinum card. It is my preciousss...

11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I was in either FRA or CPH, priority boarding was given to Star Gold members who showed their card with their boarding pass.

FlyingBear and 8MiHi like this.
  12. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Star Gold didn't show on the BP? Or you aren't quite there yet?

13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't gold at the time. I believe this was SAS at CPH. Never seen it otherwise.

8MiHi likes this.
  14. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hardly ever pull the card out, I thought maybe they required it at the LH Senator lounge.. Maybe not.

15. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stand corrected. It is "thru" not "until". Which, of course, in no way answers my question.

Some places there is no guarantee. I've ran into that issue this year in Minsk and Kiev, where I was told that without the card, I would not be allowed to have my "overweight' luggage, EVEN when my status was printed on the ticket. There were also lounges that would not let me in without the card and the boarding pass did not have my status printed on it for whatever reason.

As I mentioned, sometimes it DOES matter. I am not being paranoid for the hell of it, I am speaking from experience.

Humor is appreciated, but is way off base here. I am speaking from experience.

8MiHi and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  16. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love the new UA way of admission to UC lounges as well as *A ones as well. Scan the BP and you are finished. I did not use my card once last year although I still carry it with me.

One day, I hope UA simply has electronic cards. Pull it up on your smart phone and you are finished. (Of course, this may be a problem in places without internet or for people with stupid phones :D) but I am certain some bright young entrepreneur will figure it out (go for it WA :p)

8MiHi and desamo like this.
  17. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got my Gold Status about a month ago and no card as of now. Hopefully will hit Platinum soon and then will have to wait for a Platinum Card :)

8MiHi likes this.
  18. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some US Airways lounges were not satisfied with me having a boarding pass, they wanted the card too. I used my United app as "electronic" card once to show my status and that was sufficient in that case.

8MiHi likes this.
  19. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The OP's point that not every airport, airline or lounge has joined the 21st century is one that I have not experienced this year so flyers who do not yet have their *A Gold card are warned.:mad:

20. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    It helped me finagle my way into the TK Elite departure immigration queue at IST. It's also assisted with scattered security checks throughout the world-simply having the BP in tow didn't cut it.

8MiHi, FlyingBear and mht_flyer like this.
  21. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Made Platinum on December 12. Received my Gold package today. We'll see about the platinum card.:cool:

FlyingBear and TAHKUCT like this.
  22. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    This forum is broadening my knowledge of Frequent Flying.

23. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    When did make Gold?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using milepoint

8MiHi likes this.
  24. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Made 50k over Thanksgiving, made a couple of long multi-legged flights during the first two weekends in December, added a few thousand fpqms and viola I'm at 75k. I had gold as a MM anyway, but I have actually earned it again this year plus some. Platinum showed online on Dec 12 along with 2 rpus which I have already used for ewr-hnl in August.
    I do not have significant experience with many small or modest *A airlines, so the experiences related here have been new to me. I assumed better integration of systems which is foolish.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  25. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received my 1K card last week, doubt I will ever need it anyway.