Waiting for CPU vs Using RPU/GPU

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Blue Skye, Aug 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have read several threads, searched topics and threads but I still don't quite understand how the whole upgrade thing works. Or when to use an RPU or GPU instead of hoping to get the CPU. What happens if I do an upgrade using a GPU/RPU but could possibly be CPUd? Do they CPU first, or does the GPU/RPU trump the CPU?

I am a 1K, flying PIT - PHX. I have already been CPUd on one leg of the trip out. The trip back is showing there is 9 seats available for upgrading using RPU/GPU or miles. How does one decide what is the best chance for upgrading? I am not really interested in using miles to upgrade since my RPUs/GPUs expire the end of Nov.

Hope this made sense. TIA for any advice.

Counsellor likes this.
  2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    On pre-merger UA, they would often return the SWU/CR-1 that you used for the upgrade back to your account if you would have been upgraded when UDU time came around. Not sure what they do these days, so if anyone does know, I'm interested in finding out, too.

3. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's not how it works now. If you use an RPU/GPU and you get confirmed for the upgrade the instrument is used and CPU has no effect on your reservation. However, if you use an RPU/GPU and you don't clear up until the point that your CPU window opens you then have the choice of calling UA and having your RPU/GPU removed from the reservation and being at the mercy of the CPU.

Keep in mind that all RPU/GPU trump CPU's. So when/if UA opens "R" inventory for the flight your RPU/GPU would be processed first. If you're willing to take a chance and hope that all RPU/GPU get processed and you would still get the CPU upgrade based on your status and ticket class then go for it and save the RPU/GPU. If your instrument is going to expire and you aren't quite sure when you can use it next then use the RPU/GPU and don't worry about it.

-RM

4. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a couple of RPUs that cleared within my 1K window when I called about getting them back, I was told Id lose my UP and fall to the bottom of the WL

Of cause like anything nowadays with COdbaUA call up speak to 3 reps youd end up with 3 completely different answers to almost anything asked.

It would be great if an Insider could make a post and spell out exactly how its suppose to work, but Im not holding my breathe for that to happen anytime soon

Since I knew I wasnt going to need the RPUs anyway I used them

5. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I'm still confused about this. I have a flight on this coming Sunday connecting in DEN (IAH-DEN-EGE), and my second leg on the CRJ has cleared CPU, but the IAH-DEN flight still has me in Y even though R = RN = 7... Shouldn't that mean I would have cleared my CPU already?

theBOAT

6. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope. UA no longer uses the visible "R" bucket or CPU's. It's a hidden bucket like CO used to use years ago. Note: this has NOT been verified by UA but I believe all the evidence shown here and on FT shows that "R" is no longer used. It has nothing to do with a stuck reservation stopping the CPU process from working IMO.

If the flight is R=7 you have a good shot of the upgrade before OLCI or at the gate. But if you really want to guarantee the IAH-DEN upgrade you can apply an RPU now on that flight and it will confirm immediately.

-RM

theBOAT likes this.
  7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is correct. You wouldn't fall to the "bottom" per se. You'd fall back in line for CPU based on your elite status and fare class for the flight. All other RPU/GPU requests would trump your CPU.

-RM

8. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, everyone for your input and explanations of how upgrades work. Based on that, I decided to use the RPU. ;)

Next year I vow to make better usage of my RPU/GPUs!

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The website has the priority:
    As you can see, removing the upgrade instrument drops you down to the CPU tier. You'll be at your normal position in the CPU group, not "all the way at the bottom" but you will be lower than you would be with an instrument supporting it.

Counsellor and Blue Skye like this.