Wait for DL to contact me or contact them?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by JasonH, Apr 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Today my wife has had an.... interesting... travel day and it is not done yet. Her DEN-ATL flight was just fine, but then her ATL-CAE flight experience started. DL1430 was scheduled on a DC-9-50. They boarded, but then the pilots found a maintenance issue. After waiting for a part from the a hanger, that turned out to be for a 9-30 instead of a 9-50 they deplaned and boarded another 9-50. Take off time rolled around and then when she was supposed to be in the air I get the following message via messenger (redacted her contact info of course ):

Yes, her plane is the reason for the ATL runway delay this afternoon.

Delta created a new flight out of thin air and found a CRJ-900. Though right now that plane doesn't have a crew. She has stated the gate crew is doing what they can; offering meal vouchers and the like, but the DL computers are having problems with the new flight as well.

My question is... should I wait on Delta to see what they are willing to do to make this right or should I take the initiative? Just to be clear, I'm not upset at Delta (yet) since she's still safe and I believe the employees on the ground (and the DC-9 pilot that my wife said she hugged) have done all they can given the situation.

2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why do you think DL is going to contact you? What exactly do you think DL owes you?

3. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seriously? First reply is in troll tone? Since I'm in an amiable mood to explain, allow me.

In the past two years Delta has reacted to some of the delays I've experienced due to aircraft or crew problems. They aren't always consistent mind you, but at times I have gotten an apology, a request for feedback, and multiple times some token Skymiles. When they don't contact me I usually remember several weeks later and by that time I rarely bother to contact them.

Hence, based on my past experience I figured I'd ask a simple, non-troll baiting, question as to how one would react if they found themselves in a situation as I detailed above. I do not think I'm special, so other Skymiles members must have gotten the same treatment. It would, I'm sure you would agree, be a logical conclusion.

4. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say that if you feel aggrieved then you should contact Delta.

5. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recommend waiting until she gets home, and you have the total story, then follow up via the Delta web site.

Delays happen, my personal record is 7 hours for a one hour flight and I could have made the drive in that amount of time. In that case we went through 4 planes with mechanical problems.

DTWBOB

USAF_Pride likes this.
  6. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    That wasn't intended to be troll tone, as you put it. You stated "make it right", which is as broad as the pacific ocean. If you had wanted a full refund, we would have told you that it wasn't going to happen.

They aren't going to contact you until the trip is done (if they ever do at all). As others have stated, delays happen and if you feel you need something, contact them after the trip is completed (after all, they can still lose her luggage).

7. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait until she gets home. In the next day or two write a letter via the delta website as to her frustration with the mechanical problems as well as the upsetting takeoff. Expect a few miles. Glad she's safe... hopefully she makes it home sometime soon.

8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not expect too much from Delta. Six years ago I was flying from LAX to JFK changing in ATL. When I got off the plane my wife had left an urgent message and when I called home I found out that my mother had terminal cancer. I explained to the gate agent upon exiting the plane that I needed my luggage as I wanted to go home and be with my mother when she was given the news. The gate agent said that was not possible and I should check with customer service. I went to customer service and they told me that the luggage would still be going to New York even if I did not. I explained to them that it really shouldn't be that hard to get my luggage as it had to come off of the first flight anyhow. Again I was denied.. I had very expensive suits that would not have been covered by their baggage coverage if something happened, so I flew to New York and had to spend the night as there were no flights back that night in order to be certain that my luggage was safe. I flew back home early the next morning from JFK to be with my mother when she was given the news. She passed away three months later and I have never forgiven Delta for the lack of decency on their part.

9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might as well contact them right away. It's never too soon to thank them for keeping your wife safe in an emergency situation like that. Although your wife already talked to the pilot directly her appreciation may not make it up the chain of command.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  10. commander flatus

commander flatus Active Member

Status Points:
    contact them on twitter - i think it's @deltaassist
    explain the situation and they'll probably throw her some skypesos.
    they won't compensate with MQMs or anything else (as far as I know - I tried to get MQMs and failed)
    they're friendly, fast, and super-helpful.
    would even sign up for twitter just to get access to them.

after the experience she had, there's no way in hellllll i'd get on an RJ. i'd take a bus.

now to ramble... once when i was about 20 years old and stupid i was flying denver to steamboat springs in a twin prop abomination on continental. starboard engine caught fire/blewup as we were accelerating for takeoff. good times... i think i was too stupid to realize then that had it happened in the air that the pilot (who was probably younger than me at the time) would've probably crashed the damned plane and killed us all.

here ends my rambling.

11. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Give DL a fair opportunity to reach out to those on the flight. Doing so will make you appear to be both reasonable and less of an opportunist if/when you do ask.

I am glad that all seems to have ended well. Good luck.