Waikiki Edition Hotel

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Courcoison, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Day:
    I shall stay 3 nights at the Waikiki Edition Hotel over the upcoming week end and will report back about my first experience at this location.

2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking forward to your report; as I'm thinking about staying there next week.

3. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Day.

Check in by Chloe was gracious .

The front desk is set up behind what looks like a fairly large column.

It is kind of awkward and really out of place.

The room was not ready at 1.00 pm but within 30 minutes I was given my keys

As a gold Marriott I was upgraded to a 9th floor 340 square feet king room with a terrace facing the Ilikai hotel offering very little views from the inside.

The terrace was the upgrade as some rooms do not have it. The queen beds room is slightly larger (390 square feet) and the hotel offers a deluxe room ( 485 square feet) for an extra $150.00.

From the terrace ( two chairs and a table)looking left one could see and hear heavy traffic on the Ala Moana Boulevard and looking right the pools and the Pacific.

On Friday night I had a full view of the HHV firework display being fired from the beach.

The room was clean and nightly turn down brought two complementary bottles of New Zealand source water and a bucket of ice.

Shower, no bath tub, great bath robes.

Internet was complimentary.

I also received a $25.00 credit towards room service or the spa.

This credit could not be used at the bar although food/pupu’s are served there or at Morimoto where you can get breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I ordered a fish sandwich ($22.00) and received credit for this amount and not the full $25.00.

The swimming pool was very busy and really only provides an excuse not to go to the beach. I am not referring to the private “Edition Beach”.

The so called private beach is located above the regular pool and offers privacy from children but in terms of pool only what would be considered a very large foot bath; no swimming of any kind.

The hotel bar hidden during the day behind a moveable library bookshelf provides some very nice drinks such as their own version of the Mai Tai ($13.20 with tip).

As a guest you can access the night club from the bar during the week end .

There is no cover charge to enter the night club either for hotel guests or walk in.

On Saturday night at 2.00 am one could not move in the night club.

Latest free check out I could get on Monday was 2.00 pm.

In order to keep my room until 6.00 pm ( since I was on a red eye flight) I paid $107.13 ($94.00 plus occupancy GET + 4.712% & TAT +9.25% ).

Usually the part day rate allows occupancy only until 5.00 pm.

I took advantage of 3 Marriott free nights using savers awards ( 30.000 points per night instead of 35.000 points. Hotel category 7).

The room is overloaded with "stuff " to sell such as ukulele, Edition cap, shampoo ( made in China. Distributed by Sysco. very nice smell), bubble bath and others. It gives it kind of a "bazaar " feel and I do not like it.

I probably would not pay the $345.00 nightly rate although the staff is professional and the hotel nice.

It did not appear that the hotel was completely full and based on my experience with the Hyatt Waikiki, the Hilton Prince Kuhio and the Royal Hawaiian, I wish the courtesy of a free late checkout had been extended.

4. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Day:

I am happy to report that the General Manager at this property saw it fit to get in touch with me via email .

This resulted in the $ 107.13 late check out fee to be refunded.

This goodwill gesture puts the Edition back on my list of hotels I would stay at when in Honolulu although I stand by my original review.

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Did the GM respond to a message you sent, or did he/she read this thread?

6. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Day:

I beleive the General Manager responded to a survey I received and responded to about my 3 nights stay at the Waikiki Edition. I shared the same comments as in this forum.

7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ah, ok. Either way, good for the GM, and good for you.

He/she earned points in my book.