Waikiki Beach Marriott vs. Hyatt Regency Waikiki

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by hulagrrl210, Aug 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking for recommendations for a trip next week. I have a paddleboard race at Kuhio beach and wanted to stay close by. Familiar with the area but never stayed at either hotel. I'm a gold with Marriott (staying with baby so late check out option is nice), no status with Hyatt.Currently have a res with Marriott, but can cancel no penalty.

Thoughts?

Mahalo nui in advance

Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

We have stayed at both and like the Hyatt much more. We now only stay at the Hyatt in Waikiki and we are usually there twice a year. The service and the food were much better at the Hyatt.

I have Platinum with Marriott and Diamond with Hyatt, and the status did much more for us at the Hyatt.

viguera, Kalboz and hulagrrl210 like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    In general, the status with Marriott will give you more benefits than no status with Hyatt. If, as Mark stated above, the local Hyatt offers better amenities, then I'd request a Diamond challenge with Hyatt and get the status for the trip to enjoy the benefits.

hulagrrl210 and Singapore Flyer like this.
  4. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even a Plat wont get much of anything at the Marriott, a Gold even less. btw since its a Resort (really anything but) I believe there are no guarantees on late checkout

As others have said the Hyatt is a much nicer place and all of maybe 3 mins from Kuhio beach over the Marriott

Kalboz and hulagrrl210 like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I actually got a pretty nice upgrade as a Platinum when I stayed at that Marriot myself. It was a one-night business as part of the challenge and we wanted something close to the zoo (for our toddler) and were coming in late on US, so we booked a regular room but ended up getting upgraded to a Junior Suite on a high floor.

I would have stayed there longer but our destination was Ko Olina.

I personally don't like any of the Waikiki hotels (even the ones with beach access) but given the choice -- based on my experience -- I'd pick the Marriott instead of the Hyatt.

Kalboz and hulagrrl210 like this.
  6. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had had thought about doing this as I'll also be staying at the Grand Hyatt Kauai but figured there wasn't enough time. After reading that other thread about how quickly that one guy was matched, I just sent them an email. I guess we'll see what happens.At the moment I'm still booked with Marriott, but if Hyatt comes though in time I might give them a try.

Also thank you everyone so much for the feedback!

Kalboz likes this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a 100% upgrade rate since the start of Marriott's upgrade policy for Platinums last year ... total of around 50 nights!