W Washington, D.C. - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by From NYC, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a 4-night stay here at the end of January, 2011. What a nice hotel! It was freezing cold in D.C., but the front door staff were always there to open the door to the outside, hail a cab, just say a "Hello" or "Welcome back".

Before arriving, I was sent an email from Reiner Bunnik at the hotel with a welcome and asking to get in touch if I had any questions or things I'd like set up. As it'd been about 15 years since I was last in town, wrote back asking about public transport directions to the hotel, and also about a few restaurants I'd heard of. Received a quick reply.

On check-in, was told that I'd been upgraded, I'm a Plat SPG'er, to a suite, was told I could help myself to mini-bar water without charge, and asked if there was anything else. A day later, I realized that we hadn't discussed whether I wanted points or an amenity, and went to bring this up and was told that the points had already been chosen for me as most people went that way. Exactly what I wanted. Access to the floor of your room, or the rooftop area, requires using your room key.

The room, 903, had a view over Pennsylvania Avenue and the Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorial in the distance. Great view at night. On walking into the room, there was a work desk to the right and, about 1/3 into the room, an partial open separator between this area and the living room. The separator had a Bose music system, the mini-bar. The living room had a long curved 2-piece sofa of a very modern design, a coffee table, and modern armchair and a large flat-screen TV; to the side of the TV were some inputs if I'd wanted to connect a player so that the video played on the TV. The curve in the sofa meant that it wasn't really for stretching out and napping on. It was comfortable.

A door separated this from the bedroom, which had a king-sized bed, a chest of drawers with another flat-screen TV on it, and a closet. The closet was a bit of a problem because there was an extremely tight fit on opening the doors to the drawers inside there. Frequently, one of the doors would bump into the in-room safe door. The bed was amazingly comfortable. Well, not so amazingly, 'cause that's the way W beds are.

The bathroom had a partially-opaque door that contained the shower (rainfall or adjustable wand) and bathtub, 2 sinks on a long counter, and the toilet around the corner behind the shower area. The usual Bliss amenities. I found the shower pressure a little bit lacking, but I like a strong one. The wand's head did change the stream to pulse and to a fewer amount of holes being used. The toilet had 2 flush possibilities of quick or serious. The only problem here was a sidewall towel rack that would come off with the slightest touch; no towels were ever hung there, and I and the room cleaners just left it off after 2 days of this.

Later the 1st day of my arrival, returned to the room to find a terrific cheese plate, various crackers and a bottle of wine on the desk. The wine needed a lot of airing, then was okay. It's what sparked for me that I hadn't specifically been asked about my Platinum amenity choice.

There's a rooftop bar that also serves food (did not try the food), and it has a terrific view to the White House and over to the Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorial. My stay included a Saturday night, and the place was jumping. Long line of cars outside, dropping people off, and the lobby is velvet-roped to keep things in order. Showing a room key lets one pass that by. It also allows jumping to the front of the line for getting to the roof. BTW, on the weekend, the 3 elevators will not take you to the roof, even after using your key; you can only get there by going down to the lobby where they control rides to the roof.

My room was 2 floors below the roof, but I didn't hear any of the noise. I did, however, have some noisy folks to the side or above me, and I was woken up at 3AM. I phoned down to the lobby, and they sent someone to ask for some quiet. It didn't work, and when I phoned down 30 minutes later, I was immediately offered the use, for the night or for the rest of my stay, another suite on a lower floor. I used it for the night, and greatly appreciated the quick response. For the rest of my stay, never heard any of my neighbors, and there did seem to be a fair number of folks at the hotel.

In the mornings, there's a coffee and hot water set-up. They didn't have tops for the cups, but I was subsequently told that they were changing suppliers and this should be corrected shortly. In the afternoon, it turned into warm spiced apple cider.

I only used the restaurant for oatmeal and toast in the morning, and it was nicely done, in terms of the sides for the oatmeal. Service was pretty quick, but there weren't a lot of people there when I was breakfasting. The price for these 2 items was reasonable.

There's also a small workout area down in the basement. Again, access by room key. A few aerobic machines, free weights and weight machines. Kind of dark there.

It was a terrific stay, and I'd happily stay there again.

uggboy and Gargoyle like this.
  2. privateer
    Original Member

privateer Silver Member

Status Points:
    In addition to the post above:

I stayed at this property in November of 2010. I am an SPG Platinum and was given an upgrade but just a room class, not to a suite. I did not have anything special in my room. I have few things to add to the post above.

The J&G Steakhouse in the hotel has great food. However, I would order seafood and the soup over any of the steaks. I would also recommend trying to ginger-margarita (nothing pre-made in there, the mixture is made in-house). The rooftop is nice to go and look at the views, its rather trendy so each person will need to consider on their own if they like it. I would recommend this hotel for people who like a happening place.

3. Sandy
    Original Member

Sandy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny - I stayed in that very room. LOVED it!

4. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really need to check out this property, but nothing I do is in this area. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet for one night. :cool:

uggboy likes this.
  5. Sandy
    Original Member

Sandy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be there again later this month. Doubt I'll score as good of an upgrade, but a girl can dream!

uggboy likes this.
  6. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a two-night stay at the W Washington DC last week. Since there hasn't been a report of the stay in nearly a year, I figured I'd give my observations of my stay.

Getting There: I took an eastbound red-eye and arrived at DCA shortly after 10am. I took the metro to McPherson Square and walked the couple of blocks to the W. My preferred option is generally transit, but even those less accustomed to transit should consider metro as a primary option. Cabs are approximately $15.

Checking In: Given my 10:30a arrival, I fully expected to have to drop my bags and walk around for a bit. However, upon check-in, rooms were immediately available and I was able to pick my room. I chose a room facing the Treasury and was upgraded from my booked wonderful room to a fabulous room which was actually fairly spacious and nicely appointed. Additionally, I was given my option of SPG Gold bonii which posted without any need for intervention.

The Room: I was quite pleased. The door opens into a short corridor with a restroom (with sliding door) on the right and the sleeping area ahead. A small closet and sink are on the left side of the entry corridor. Because of the reports that I've read on this and other sites, I was concerned about the size of the room, but ended up being quite pleased with the size and layout of the room. Was this a gigantic room? Certainly not. Was it comfortable and nicely appointed? Certainly.

IMG00242-20120321-1108 (1).jpg

IMG00244-20120321-1108.jpg

IMG00245-20120321-1108.jpg

The Scene: I'm wary of hanging out of W's because I feel like they are such scenes, however this W was a 'scene' in a positive way. In my two days at the hotel, I ran into a handful of Senators (and their handlers), Adam Richman filming "Man vs. Food" and littany of models preparing for a photo shoot. For a boring trip to DC, the W ended up being a pretty fun place to hangout. I spent a good bit of time on the roof, with its great panoramic views of the district and music.

The Verdict: A very good stay. One of my favorite W's, with Austin in the same category. I'm looking forward to spending more time here on my visits to DC and will certainly consider the W as one of my favorites.

uggboy likes this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A classy W hotel, thanks for sharing your recent experiences and fantastic photos too!:)