W Union Square (New York City) - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MSPeconomist, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The W Hotel is located at the northeast corner of Union Square. This is a nice area of New York City but it is not close to major tourist attractions. There's a substantial market on the square some days and there's varied shopping nearby. Washington Square is about a twenty minute walk.

As a Plat checking in the middle of Friday afternoon for two nights on a very good rate for this property, I was given an upgrade to a cool corner room, which is considerably larger than their standard rooms. The room was on a high floor and had pretty good light and views. I understand that other Plats who had arrived earlier in the week were switching rooms to suites for the weekend. I had to wait almost an hour for my room (no rooms were ready, even though it was around the hotel's announced check in time, and I think my Plat status gave me preference over others who were also forced to wait), although I was comped a double espresso in the Living Room by my check in agent, who later came to find me and completed the check in in the Living Room when the room was ready. The room was decorated in lighter colors and seemed more sophisticated and elegant than many W rooms I've seen, so that this seemed to be a W for more mature adults.

The hotel was very busy over the weekend. Locals obviously come here to eat and drink. At times it was difficult to walk through the Living Room from the hotel entrance to the elevators. There's also a nightclub in the basement, but I didn't try to get in. However, my front desk agent offered a dinner reservation at a prime time, even though the restaurant was completely booked to outsiders.

At times the service displayed a trace of attitude, but it wasn't bad for a W. The worst was the doorman, who controlled the use of the Acura car service to nearby destinations. I found it strange that the driver would arrive at work at 10 am and then take a lunch break at 11am or would not be able to make a six block trip around 5 because his workday ended at 6. The doorman was totally ineffective and unconcerned about obtaining cabs on Sunday afternoon for departing guests to get to airports.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. heakja

heakja Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just finished a two night stay at this hotel. Not very impressed, but if you set your expectations moderatly (this is New York City after all) this is an okay SPG alternative.

Pluses:
    - fantastic location, especially if you do not want or need to be close to the most touristy areas (Time Square and around) in Manhattan.
    - a virtuoso property, which mean you can get a continental breakfast and 50 dollar food/beverage credit included your rate if you book with a virtuoso agent. (However, be aware of that both breakfast and the food MUST be consumed in your room. IMO this in-room dining rule is pretty ridiculous.)

Minuses:
    - had to push hard for a plat upgrade (in the end we got a fantastic suite, which was large but not very impressive - a bit worn and dark)
    - the office buidling next door har direct view into our bathroom, so the curtains had to be used all the time
    - sloppy service: No turn down service on day two, same goes for newspaper. Found some garbage under the sink at the bathroom floor.
    - only the window in the bedroom area seemed to soundproof.
    - air con pretty noisey (looked old)
    - some attitude from staff (the W syndrome), e.g.: at check in, we asked if the room was in a quiet location. Answer: "Its New York, nothing is quiet here." Had to clearify that we of course knew that and that the question was if there was anything available on a higher floor (we got 11 out of 22) or if any of the sides were more quiet than the others.
    - errors in the bill, but those were correct upon check out.

Neutral:
    - bar/restaurant is very popular and lively. Great choice for a pre- or post-dinner drink. However, the sound level does probably mean that the lower hotel floors should be avoided.