W Taipei - Review

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Dec 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently enjoyed two weekends at the W Taipei and had a great time. The hotel itself is one of the newest in Taipei. It is what you would expect from a W, modern, young, hip. The service at the hotel is terrific from the doormen, through check in/out and up to housekeeping.

As a Plat, we were upgraded to the Marvelous Suite on both weekends which is a great room. It's very modern yet retro and includes a living area, work area, and drinking area all outside of the bedroom. A nice feature, although it requires extra work, is the surround sound which makes watching TV or listening to music while hanging out more enjoyable. There's also a half bathroom for guest use.

The bedroom is also stylish and very comfortable. The master bath is great and even has a TV in front of the tub. The rain shower is nice but I find myself pretty used to traditional shower head angles. As one would expect, the toilet seats are high tech which includes warm seats and an undercarriage wash.... gotta love Asia.

This hotel is located somewhat near the Taipei 101 building off the Taipei City Hall stop off the MRT. A very convenient location for shopping, especially since it is attached to the Hankyu department store. The hotel is a short walk to the Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall which is directly west of the hotel.

There is food everywhere around you starting with the underground food court and restaurants in Hankyu, to the nicer restaurants on higher level floors, to the subway, to the esLite department store next door which actually has a pretty tasty Sichuan restaurant called 1010.

Overall, a great hotel and a pretty good location for exploring Taipei. Even better if you are part of the party crowd as the hotel bar/pool area was hopping every night that I was there.

Kalboz, sendaiben and misterbwong like this.
  2. gster78

gster78 Active Member

Status Points:
    Agree with this review -- terrific hotel, largely b/c of its tremendous staff, great location, and wonderful facilities.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look forward to trying this hotel out on my first ever visit to Taipei in february. However, I wouldn't be a good MP'er without also trying the Sheraton and Le Meridien on the same visit

Jeff

Kalboz likes this.
  4. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although I haven't stayed at those properties, the Sheraton has been around for quite awhile but the location isn't bad for doing stuff that locals would. Le Meridien is pretty new from my understanding and seems nice. I believe it's a little closer to Taipei 101 and your room key will get you free admission to the Museum of Contemporary Art in Taipei.

Looking forward to hearing about what you think about those Starwood properties.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I, too, would be interested in a W Taipei vs. Le Meridien Taipei comparison. I did the W shortly after it opened and thought it was great. I'm contemplating doing the Le Meridien next time. Comparisons would be appreciated.