W Silicon Valley - Newark Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by siricepick, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. siricepick

siricepick Active Member

Status Points:
    I normally stay about ~150 nights a year on the road between Starwood, InterContinental, and Hyatt properties and was surprised by the condition of this W... Mainly room 315, a Cool Corner Suite. From all of my stays, I'm sure I have encountered some questionable properties, but poor upkeep, and unhygienic were not the words I wanted to use with W. You'll see from my pictures that there was a missing tile in the bathroom, broken door handle, and mildew in the shower. Other pictures that I couldn't load into TA were urine stains on the wall next to the toilet and peeling wallpaper in the halls.

At the time of check-in I was advised that there were not other higher suites available, and if I wanted to, the front desk person could move me into a smaller standard suite. Staying with a child means that space is always valuable.

During checkout, the front desk manager was more apologetic and offered me Starwood points that would equal to half of a night's stay in the W Silicon Valley's category. Since I was running late for an event, I didn't bother to negotiate with the manager. Usually many Starwood properties would offer points enough to cover a night instead of just half the points for issues less concerning than these. After tweeting about it, I got a tweet back asking me to send my comments to the GM, Suzie Yang. Have I heard back from the property since? Nope.

Pros:
    - Free parking
    - Spacious rooms
    - New carpet

Cons:
    - Some employees not helpful or friendly
    - Bathroom issues (in room 315)
    - Furniture looks tired and worn
    - Wallpaper in halls are scuffed and ripped
    door-handle-broken-in.jpg mildew-stains-in-cool.jpg missing-tile-on-the-bathroom.jpg

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes I wonder how this hotel holds on - weekends are barren and cheap. Weekdays the pricing is more sustainable. It is a nice facility that has never been what they wanted it to be. Maybe the next economy upswing will help.

3. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stay here a lot, and lately, I think the property is slipping a bit, but for the cheap rates and amenities I get there, I continue to stay there. I have not had experiences as bad as the OP has, but I have had to move because they couldn't find a remote to work the tv in a room (one corner room with an LG TV, and the most of the other rooms have a different brand).

Lately, I have been referring to it as the "W Motel 6". It's still better than the Hyatt Place or the nearby Marriott low end properties.

-David

4. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was at this property last march, and it was ok except the power went out for almost a day and I had a top floor room. Using the stairs was fun.

kenbo likes this.
  5. When reading this I'm glad to have changed a stay end of November 2010 to the Sheraton Pleasanton :)

ag51, vla, alex0683de and 3 others like this.
  6. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This is a very apt description of this property. I've had colleagues who have booked this property when it's out of the way thinking it will be like other W's. I always try to talk them out of it. [​IMG]

7. cxn

cxn Active Member

Status Points:
    If it is cheap enough, I prefer to stay here over the Westin/Sheraton Palo Alto. And they do have some decent weekend rates.

8. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really, you prefer it over the Westin Palo Alto? I think the Westin Palo Alto is much nicer than the W Silicon Valley, in every aspect, and it's also priced that way.

I agree that the W Silicon Valley is a great source for cheap stays.

-David

9. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Spent a weekend here with my family and the pool area was overrun by people who seemed to have never stayed at a hotel before. Calling them redneck would have been a compliment. We left after ten minutes.

10. siricepick

siricepick Active Member

Status Points:
    I have to say that I forgot about the remote. It didn't work for me either. They also had to do something with the TV system as that stopped responding as well. Another plus that I forgot to mention is that I had an electric massage chair in the room. I made good use of it. :)

11. cxn

cxn Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, if it is 'cheap' enough. But our corporate rate is usually less @ the Four Seasons then the Westin PA.

12. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone stayed here since the changeover to the Aloft? Planning on quick trip in April so I'm wondering whether to stay here or the Sheraton San Jose...

13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't stayed there, but the convenience of the SSJ is hard to beat and its a superb property.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint