W Santiago Chile

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by adexpert, Sep 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I spent three nights here this week on vacation and found this to be all-in-all a very nice property:

• Hotel is in Las Condes neighborhood - very close to commercial center from what I could tell (tall skyscrapers, etc.)
    • ~5 minute walk to El Golf Metro
    • ~10 minute walk to interchange Metro stop (Tobalaba)
    • Traffic downtown around the hotel is pretty bad during rush hour - it took most of an hour to get out to the airport around 6.45PM - more than half of that was spent navigating downtown to the highway
    Room
    • I got a "Marvelous" suite as a Platinum upgrade on a C&P stay - huge room with a balcony over the city
    • The front desk was actually surprised when I asked about 4PM checkout as they assured me it was guaranteed for all Platinum guests and on a space available basis for Gold
    • They dropped off a bottle of wine as a welcome gift and included bottled water from the mini-bar - supposed to be one bottle a day but they didn't charge me for a couple over that
    Restaurant/Bar
    • I had dinner the first night and drinks a couple of nights in the Terrace bar on the lobby level. Food was good and reasonably priced as was the Wine.
    • There's an outdoor bar on the 4th floor with alot of seating, but no bar seating so I sat inside.
    • It was too cold for the rooftop bar to be open yet so can't comment on that

Service
    • Front desk was very friendly and helpful
    • Concierge (Andres) was fantastic and sent me off to good dinners each night plus setup a tour and directions to take the subway out to the Concha y Torro vineyard
    All in all really nice stay - would certainly stay here again if I'm in town again in the future.

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing your valuable experiences and insights @ MP!:)

About the subway to the Concha y Torro vineyard. This vineyard is easily reachable by subway from the W do I understand this right?

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  3. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a beautiful property in a lovely neighborhood. We loved staying here. We stayed at the same time as Lollapalooza and got a better upgrade (as Platinums) when compared to some of the bands playing the fest. :)

uggboy likes this.
  4. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Go to the Toblababa Metro station and take the blue #4 train (starts here) all the way to the other end - Puente Alta. It takes about 45 minutes. Once you exit the station, you'll be in a busy square surrounded by quite a few blocks of busy market should you want to explore.

On one of the sides of the square (right outside the one subway exit), there are a bunch of cabs there. It's about a 5 - 7 minute drive. I got charged 2,000 CLP on the way out and 3,000 CLP by the cab the winery called on the way back. I wasn't going to argue over a couple bucks.

Note, you need a reservation for the tour. The hotel can make it or they have a website. I just had the concierge call that morning.

sagefemme52 and uggboy like this.
  5. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A few pics of the room and neighborhood
    wMP1.JPG w_MP2.JPG w_MP3.JPG w_MP4.JPG

6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fantastic, thanks so much!:)

7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked our upcoming stay for February at the W just this morning. C&P is a great value here!

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for sharing the pictures!

10. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy your stay! My only advice (in case you are leaving early morning on a weekend) is to reserve a cab in advance. It took us a LONG time to find one - the hotel had to radio for a taxi and we had to end up paying some extra $$.

11. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice. Did you fly LAN (biz class) down there? Thoughts?

Getting even further off topic ... see your avatar is of a moai. Easter Island is of course our next destination. What did you think?

12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to jump the OP, however I have flown business class with LAN a few times- it has very good service, good food, and comfortable seating. LAN is a good choice in business to Santiago.

13. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Lan J was great! The seat is very comfortable but the service was hit-and-miss. We went to Easter Island from Santiago and really enjoyed our time there (3 days). We rented an SUV for two days and explored the island on our own - most of the time, we felt like we had the island to ourselves so it was a great experience.

14. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew LAN J EZE-SCL and SCL-LIM-MIA. The food and wine was quite good on SCL-LIM as was the service. I skipped dinner/drinks and slept on LIM-MIA, but, the service I observed was rather poor at best.

As far as cars, right after you go through customs but before you go into the street-side area are a couple taxi booths. I randomly chose "Taxi Official". It was CLP 18000 to the hotel leaving immediately in a nice new car. They offered a 20% discount if I used them on the way back, so I filled out their website form the morning of my return and a car appeared on schedule. The hotel's car service is CLP 30000 to the airport, so 50% difference.