W San Diego

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Mark Allen Jackson, Jan 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mark Allen Jackson
    Original Member

Mark Allen Jackson Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey all! I posted a review of the W San Diego on my site here, but the text is below. Let me know what y'all think! Excuse the sports terms, it's the theme of my website...

[Pre-Game]
    After my visit to the US Grant hotel, I drove my car a few blocks to the W San Diego for a Saturday night stay at the hotel. While the night was retailing for $199, I opted to use some spare Starpoints I had and burn 12,000 for this Gaslamp-area hotel. Read on to hear my impressions.

[Gametime]

First Quarter

The differences between the US Grant and the W are vast, both in style and substance. While the W may be "hipper" than the US Grant, it pales in comparison to the Grant's level of service. Through no fault of the valet, the arrival experience is awful. There is no dedicated arrival area for cars, just a corner on the street. Correct me if I'm wrong readers, but I believe the W was not always a W, so a dedicated arrival area like the W Hollywood, which was built from the ground up, is missing.

Second Quarter
    After opening your own door, rustling all of your luggage, you make your way to the check-in counter. Which one? They all look the same, but don't think the hotel staff will help you. You are made to wait until someone recognizes that you want to check in. This was annoying, as someone who was paying $200 a night would expect better service than this.
    As a Starwood Gold Member, I was offered a welcome drink, 250 points, or free internet. I managed to get two welcome drinks, which the way the drinks are priced at the bar was not an awful deal passing up the points. No room upgrade was offered besides a higher floor.

Third Quarter
    The room itself was nice, if you could ignore some peeling wallpaper and chips in the furniture. The chalk board was a nice touch for some fun tic-tac-toe games, and the colors in the room were a fresh light blue. The bed was comfortable, but the bathroom seemed a bit small and closed off. This is where the conversion of the hotel really showed. It seemed they "painted on" the W hip theme and walked away.
    The downstairs bar area had fun drinks and nice bartenders, who offered us his own concoction that was pretty spicy! The lobby is well-designed, with faux campfire lights and a DJ playing smooth electronic beats late into the night.
    The pool looked like a baby pool, not the cool branding the "WET" element is known for. The outside bar was setting up for a wedding, so we didn't get a chance to really hang around there.

Fourth Quarter
    All in all, I wouldn't recommend the W hotel, especially for those who are making a choice between the US Grant and here. For those that have stayed in other W hotels (I've only stayed in one (The W Hollywood), but been in several (Barcelona)), this won't impress.

2. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that this just isn't a special hotel.

It's by far my least favorite W among the multiple I have stayed in and is probably my fourth favorite gaslamp area SPG hotel (in approximate order: the U.S. Grant, the Westin down by the mall, the Westin around the corner from the W, and then the W itself).

flyingdawg and Kalboz like this.
  3. Mark Allen Jackson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I honestly enjoyed the Four Points by Sheraton down the street more!

Kalboz and flyingdawg like this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I was uniquely unimpressed by the property, and I stayed in their Extreme Wow suite!

I think what did it for me was when I called the "Whatever, Whenever" line for coffee before 6am and was told it was not possible.

Mark Allen Jackson and Kalboz like this.
  5. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, not any good Plat upgrades the two times I've stayed there

Mark Allen Jackson and Kalboz like this.
  6. Mark Allen Jackson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    "Whatever, Whenever, unless We Don't Want To"