W Resort Vieques - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Quasiconvexity, Dec 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surprised to see no master thread on this property yet. No time like the present to start one! Here is my review of a recent stay we had on the week leading into Thanksgiving.

We had a mixed stay here over Thanksgiving, although in the end, the positive aspects probably outweighed the negative parts of the stay. We stayed here for 3 nights starting the Saturday before Thanksgiving - one night on FRN and two on a AAA rate. Given that there have been extensive reviews of this property (including the recent one by Flying Buccaneer), I will keep mine brief.

- The property itself is beautiful and we really enjoyed our room with its views. We were assigned to a Fabulous room (I think) in Villa 1, which had great views of Paradise point. I was thankful for not getting one of the rooms near the Pool, as the last thing I wanted was a room with a view of the Pool. Villa 1 was very private and even though the resort was busy, we rarely saw other guests on this side of the property

- The living room area was a great place to have dinner and drinks every night. There is lots of comfortable seating with ample privacy for couples, and the wait staff did an admirable job of attending to all our needs. There arent too many dining options in the resort (the main restaurant has very few, if any, vegetarian options so that was a no-go for us) but the food from the bar was quite decent - except for the pizza, which was terrible. The mezze appetizer was especially good, as was the mozzarella sandwich. Also, the ice-cream sundaes were to die for.

- The hotel has a nice beach but the pebbles in the sand can be quite irksome. We rented a car on one of our days there, and drove to Sun bay, which was spectacular and was everything you normally associate with beaches in the Caribbean - clear water, soft sand, and very private (we were the only ones on the beach for more than an hour in the afternoon).

- The hotel has recently changed its policies regarding the alternate Platinum amenity. I would have much preferred the daily $10 F&B credit to the current offer of 10% off spa services. When I pointed out that the rate we had booked include a 15% discount on the spa services already, the Front desk mentioned they would give us an extra 500 points to make up for it. Worst, when we showed up at the spa for our appointment, they had no record of our arrival and claimed that the nearest therapist would have to catch a ferry to come over to the island!

- As mentioned many times in this thread, the staff are definitely not up to the mark. The Front Desk and the Concierge often gave us conflicting information; Room service orders often had items missing etc. etc.

- I would recommend reserving a car in advance, esp. on busy weekends, if you are planning on exploring the island. Avis has a counter in-house.

It was a pleasant stay overall, and we enjoyed our room and the common areas, and the island itself so much that we didnt let the issues with the staff bother us - it was a good start to our Puerto Rico vacation! Pics below.

SC Flier and traveler like this.
  2. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Villa 1 from outside
    [​IMG]

View from room
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Room
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SC Flier and traveler like this.
  3. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Common areas/beach
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our favorite spot during the day
    [​IMG]

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    For those of us who don't want to pay to fly to Vieques from SJU, there are other options to get there:

Ferry & other airports to fly from (2 to be exact). Details here:
    www.vieques-island.com/geninfo.shtml#fajardo

I was heading to the W Vieques in a few weeks but with the limited time we'll have on Puerto Rico, we are headed to the St Regis Bahia as it is 50% off currently. Yes the W Vieques is 40% off currently but wife has been jonesen to get back to the St Regis so I win w/her, I'll save the W Vieques for some other date next year.

(thanks for posting a nice reveiw by the way !!)