W Los Angeles Westwood -- Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by FlyMeAway, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I've been staying 4 nights a week at this property since the beginning of January.

I've been pleased with my stays so far, and Platinum status has without exception netted me a "Fabulous Suite" -- from talking with the check-in clerks, it doesn't seem like they get a ton of elite traffic. The gym is decent but could use a renovation -- no iPod adapters in the individual video monitors, as in some of the other Ws I've stayed at in the past few months.

My only limited complaint is that in some of the rooms, noise travels pretty well through shared ventilation ducts. This was particularly amusing one night last week: I walked in my room to hear the couple next door being, um, unreasonably loud in their intimate activities, but a shout into the air duct ("hey, we can hear you!") quieted them down -- until they started having a fight about their affair ("why won't you leave your wife?!?") about twenty minutes later.

If you're ordering room service, ask for a menu from the hotel restaurant (Ninethirty) in addition to the in-room dining menu; the two share a kitchen, so you can order off of either.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to stay at the W once or twice a week. Rooms would vary from regular rooms to the PH suites depending on what was going on in LA that week. I saw the pool get a makeover from one of the "Queer Eye for Straight Guy" cast members, also an episode of Entourage being filmed. I miss my Hollywood days

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed here once a month or so for the last several years. Suite upgrades about 90% of the time as a plat.

Like:
    + the location
    + suites
    + bars / nightlife

Concerns:
    - staff are hit and miss
    - some of the rooms are showing age
    - valet can take a long time and/or have an attitude
    - the 'scene' nature of the place can be distracting for business meals, meeting clients at bar, etc.
    - workout room can get crowded

Overall, it works for me primarily because of the location. SLS is nicer but not as convenient for me.

pureGLAMtv and DeltaExpert like this.
  4. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hate the attitude... Checkin on a Friday night and the bouncers will almost look like they do you a favor when they let you enter the lobby and cut the line... The bar pulls the "reserved" table stunt, i.e. you have to stand unless you fork a grand... But what can I say, it's LA.

Other than that, it's a beautiful hotel, the design is great, and as a Plat I've enjoyed nice suites.

5. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I like the location of this hotel, I've found it to have some of the worst soundproofing between rooms of any place I've stayed. You definitely want to avoid, on a weekend, a room on the side of the hotel where the bar is located.

6. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like coming back here. Reminds me of the old UCLA days and partying at Stratton's. The noise is annoying though as is the attitude of some of the staff. Much prefer the SLS these days albeit the W locations is nicer.

7. I'm not sure what the complaints are about staff attitude. Maybe it's for infrequent travelers? I've been staying at this hotel Su-Th for about eight weeks now. I usually stay at hotels for about eight weeks. The staff at the W Westwood definitely ranks in the top 10% -- they recognize me on sight, ask me how I've been, and consistently provide top-flight service.

8. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Attitude"? I find this property to be way low on the W Hotel "attitude" list. It's way more casual than other City Center W properties. When this property first opened, the staff had major "tude", which caused me to not stay there between 2007 and 2009.

Today, the property seems to have matured and IMHO found their niche. The management has totally changed and based on their location, I feel the staff doesn't need to have "attitude" you may find at a City Center/Downtown W hotel, as Westwood is way laid back and casual location.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  9. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is this property for Golds? Pretty much the same as a nobody?

10. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't hurt to see if you can get an upgrade. Ask at checkin!

11. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    The W Westwood is leaving Starwood! My ambassador told me it's been sold. I can still book an award this week though. Bummer.

12. Food Wine and Miles

Food Wine and Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bummer indeed! Only stayed here once before, but it was a great option for the area.

PS might be time to update your avatar ;)

13. SPG Champion
    Original Member

SPG Champion Official Representative

Status Points:
    dc_traveler and From NYC like this.