W Hotels opens first hotel in Singapore

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by sobore, Nov 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.spaopportunities.com/detail1.cfm?pagetype=detail&subject=news&codeID=303317

[​IMG]

W Hotels has launched W Singapore - Sentosa Cove, its first Hotel in Singapore.

Located on Sentosa Island near downtown Singapore, the hotel features 240 guest rooms and suites.

The property is owned and developed by an affiliate of City Developments Limited and it was designed by London-based architects WATG and designer Rockwell Group.

W Singapore's Away Spa, the W brand's signature spa concept, features a 112sq m (1,205sq ft) treatment room and a detox area. The decompression area boasts a sauna, steamroom and vitality pool.

The spa also features Immerge, a herbal bath; Aqua, an experiential shower; and Vichy showers.

iLA products are used in the spa and treatments include massages, facials, body and beauty treatments and wraps and scrubs.

Read More: http://www.spaopportunities.com/detail1.cfm?pagetype=detail&subject=news&codeID=303317

2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sentosa Island "near downtown Singapore" is a bit of a stretch.

Kalboz and Singapore Flyer like this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't everything near "town"? :p

Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  4. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know the cost of a taxi to the "real" downtown? Or does the hotel provide complimentary transportation?

Kalboz likes this.
  5. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    I'll ask my SIL to confirm when she wakes up tomorrow but I think it is quite cheap. Less than 10usd. All joking aside, Sentosa to Singapore is the equivalent of Roosevelt island to manhattan - tram and all. Probably 3-4 miles away. I'll let you know next week if we cab it. We usually take the tram to the MRT station.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the W to CBD taxi fare is $50 SGD IIRC.
    $10 may be enough to get you to the transport station.
    If you do decide to go the entire way by car I would budget 45 minutes-1 hour.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    SGD50? Wow, does it cost that much? My cab fare from Changi to Grand Hyatt or vv typically cost around SGD20.

8. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    My SIL just confirmed it is about 3 miles and 15 minutes. $10-15depending on route and traffic. It may go up a bit if there is a crazy jam. This doesn't include entry fee into the island. She is visiting so able to ask. She lives in between CBD (her office is next to raffles) and vivocity (tram station to sentosa). Takes about 8 minutes to the office and 5 minutes to vivocity.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    From www.taxisingapore.com, at peak hour taxi costs about S$17 (including phone booking surcharge) from the W to Raffles Place (CBD) and takes about 17 mins. From reading the reviews on tripadvisor, it seems there is an hourly complimentary shuttle to Vivocity, Orchard, and another place which I forgot. The reviewers also mentioned that due to the secluded location there is a need to call for a taxi most of the time.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi cennas: Over on the FT board people are reporting 30-45 minutes to get to CBD and prices closer to 50 SGD particularly factoring in the 8 SGD each time you go in/out of Sentosa:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...n-w-singapore-sentosa-cove-master-thread.html

Kalboz likes this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    They beat the W Bangkok by a month or so ... the W Bangkok was hailed (when it was first announced) as the first city W in SE Asia. I guess that honor goes now to the W Singapore. Construction delays seem to be part of life in Thailand!

12. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Wasn't it to the airport for that price and time point? I was reading the last page on FT.

Either way, it is a ymmv. Bad cabby, traffic jam, indecision, etc. the fact is you are in Singapore. Go and enjoy. Eat as much as you. I know that's what I will be doing this Sunday after a day roaming HK with my kid. :)

Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well eating as much as me is certainly a good idea on a Sunday in Singapore!

Enjoy!

14. HudsonSmith

HudsonSmith Member

Status Points:
    Yes, everything is near the country of Singapore, which is not much larger than the city of Mumbai. However, I do not think that the MRT goes to Sentosa.

15. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    true, but I live in SIngapore and there is a monorail from Harbourfront MRT into Sentosa

16. SecBarbie

SecBarbie Active Member

Status Points:
    Let me say that I just stayed there in May for 4 days and it was HORRIBLE (I mean, the hotel was pretty, yes)!!! The staff is clueless as to what SPG status is, I was checked in over an hour AFTER normal check in, when I requested a 1pm check-in. The bar staff told me they couldn't let me leave the bar with my glass because I might drop it and the children might cut themselves (at 10pm at night mind you). Don't EVEN get me started on the overpriced steakhouse 'SKIRT'. UGH!

Neveragain! I will now only stay at the MBS!