W Hotel Bangkok - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by jswong, Dec 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although the opening date had been delayed from it’s original date to December 7th I couldn’t have been happier as this new opening date coincided with my trip to Bangkok. I have stayed in all the Bangkok Starwood hotels so was very excited to keep my record intact

Received an e-mail the night before announcing the 9:09 opening time. Wasn’t originally going to try and make that time but then thought why not! I ended up arriving a little early. Was greeting by a few of the management and then enjoyed being part of the celebration. Several pictures have been posted on the W Bangkok Facebook site for those interested (and for those who have met me proof that I was there). A large format Veuve was opened which I enjoyed a couple of glasses of. Lots of photos were taken and I met more staff. Most off of the employees were lined up for the occasion and everyone was very excited and clearly proud of their new hotel. Also the staff are very aware of and read MP

Not all of the rooms are open yet with the Suites and Heritage building still under construction. Also the SPA is not yet open. Around the hotel workers were completing their final touches and tidying up

Of course W hotels attract a certain demographic and this W will be no different. Certainly there are some who will love the design but I’m sure there are other who will not. My room was a upgraded from a wonderful to a spectacular room overlooking the poll. The room size was fairly decent and the space used well. Yes this room is identical to that in the other thread although mine had less pink and more gold. Great shower although water did run into the bathroom a little. Standard Bliss products. The pool looked great but offered little shade. Breakfast was excellent but this is in a city where excellent breakfasts seem to be standard!

Enjoyed a few drinks that evening in Woobar where they had a celebratory 2 hours. I was well looked after! Thanks to all who came and chatted! Scored a W pin whilst at drinks and later found a personalised “I’m one of the first!” small framed pictures in my room. Of course I’m tempted to cross out “one of”

MP’ers will of course be interested in the Platinum benefits. I think we need more time to assess this. I was asked for my amenity choice and chose the breakfast. Of course we all know that pretty much all Bangkok SPG hotels offer platinum members free breakfast without sacrificing the 500 points. The card read that I was entitled to continental breakfast and that how it started off but then another staff member advised me I could help myself anything at the buffet. I note today my stay posted including the 500 point amenity. When the suites open and the hotel is not full (like it was for my night) it will be interesting to see how they handle upgrades. I received vouchers for two drinks at Woobar but of course I didn’t need them for this stay. I would love to stay in the heritage building in the future although certainly from the outside it looks very un-W like

Of course it’s very difficult to assess a hotel on it’s opening day. Virtually every staff member addressed me by name and referring to me as their no 1 guest! However, this is a great looking hotel with great staff and it would be difficult for me to imagine them not doing well

Will I stay here again? Absolutely! Although SGS is my sentimental favourite and I really like St Regis (where the concierges have helped me out big time) and love the style of Le Meridien, this W hotel does not disappoint in what is the best SPG city in the world

Shall try to get some pictures uploaded

Jeff

2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    MPer is the first visitor & they know about & read MP :) WOW, I am impressed indeed. If the OP doesn't mind, here are some photos of the first guest ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Congratulations on being the first guest, I am sure the staff will forever remember you ... what a great accomplishment.​
    One question, how is the old "Russian Embassy" venue progressing?​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review and the photos. I don't know if I like the decor- I will test out this place on a future BKK trip however as I am curious about it.

uggboy, jswong and Kalboz like this.
  4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where is it located?

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  5. Pa Kettle
    Original Member

Pa Kettle Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe edekba answered this for you back on September 10th.

edekba, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps he did but you know they say the memory is the second thing to go, and I can't remember the first

TRAVELSIG, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, LIH Prem has posted a great map here ... http://goo.gl/maps/asTjp
    :D :D :D

uggboy, LIH Prem, edekba and 3 others like this.
  8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great map, Thank you

9. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm checking in tomorrow and I can't wait! Full review following the visit, of course.

uggboy, edekba and Kalboz like this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, edekba and TRAVELSIG like this.
  11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    blah workwall blocks flickr :(

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about your iPhone? :)

uggboy, edekba and TRAVELSIG like this.
  13. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    haha productivity wall blocks that. Cant be working while oogling over pics on a phone... that's just too obvious

uggboy, Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then you must be the one outlier of Iphone users- my understanding was (until your post) that the whole reason for owning an Iphone was so that you could show co-workers pictures of your cat/dog etc doing tricks or subjecting them to home videos of your trip to ______. Otherwise why not just keep the old Blackberry which is dead useful for email and about as helpful for surfing the web for images as a real surfboard.

uggboy, Kalboz and edekba like this.
  15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... its a work iPhone. thus no pics of dogs/cats/etc :)

uggboy, TRAVELSIG and Kalboz like this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    dodgy store at best :)

17. VeryGoodPoints

Status Points:
    I'm just wrapping up a stay at the W Bangkok. It's been great!! Here's a few notes before I post my full review

Platinum Benefits:
    • Breakfast is not included for Platinum's, so you have to use your welcome amenity if you want breakfast. Will be interesting to see if that remains the policy given that every other Starwood hotel I can think of in BKK offers free bkfst.
    • No suite upgrades until Feb 1, 2013 due to ongoing construction - so keep that in mind when you're booking in the next month or so if you're looking for a suite.
    • I did get a room w/a very nice view and it's very big. Love the W bed!
    • Got a certificate for 2 free drinks at woobar
    General:
    • The BTS goes right by the hotel and while it's not loud enough to wake me up (on floor 11) it's loud enough to be annoying when trying to fall asleep.
    • Traffic in front of the hotel is ridiculous. When I arrived from the airport and were "close" to the hotel, the driver said we'd be there in about 10 minutes. It actually took another 45 minutes just sitting in traffic and we were probably only about 10-15 blocks away.
    • The hotel spa doesn't open until Feb 2013
    • The Heritage building - where I understand many suites will be along with restaurant and shop(s) - doesn't open until March 1 2013
    • Ongoing construction until Jan 2013 - though it hasn't impacted my stay at all, no noise, etc... but you do see workers around and there's a lot of work going on in front of the hotel no inconvenience though.
    Service: The welcome experience, W Insider, and Whatever/Whenever staff have been amazing. They've definitely got service down pat in those areas. I would compare them to the Le Meridien BKK and St Regis in terms of the service level.

Restaurants: There is one full service restaurant called The Kitchen Table. I ate dinner there one night. Service was very, very slow. They've only been open two week, so I expect it will be a few weeks before they're in full swing. The menu is limited and if you don't like spicy food. They have a lot of work to do in the restaurant if they're going to compete w/other hotel restaurants nearby (like Nahm or L'Appart or Park Society). There is a pool bar/snack bar w/lighter foods, sandwiches, etc...had the best meal there, Khao Pad Chicken (chicken fried rice.) Good drinks there too, but pricey. There's woobar - a full service bar in the hotel lobby - they make great coffee too! And there's The Kitchen Pantry - a take-away option w/a few sandwiches, a ton of beverages and a ton of snacks/desserts. There's also room service and the menu is way better than the restaurant menu if you're not into spice.

Pool - is awesome. I did suggest to hotel that they provide cold towels at the pool. It's super hot especially w/the sun reflecting off the buildings. But I loved the pool. Good service there too.

Overall - if you don't like the W brand, you're not going to like this hotel either, it's very typical W. I love the W brand I really like this hotel too! The internet is extremely good here hopefully it will continue to be good at full capacity. The service is top-notch and the staff is great. Hopefully they'll get the kinks in the restaurant worked out and continue to improve on the menu so that they can compete there too.

When reservations opened for the hotel, a free night was offered for 8k points, it's now 10k points (so the special has ended and I got in on a great deal IMO) Cash and points was 4k points and $150/night. Not sure where that is now.

I love the W Bangkok - I think it would be a fun place to stay for a short trip, because of location I would probably stay LM BKK for longer stays (say more than 2-3 nights) because dealing w/the traffic is more than I can deal with personally. But I will be back for one-two night stays for sure!

18. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stacey thanks! I guess i'll be staying@ the LMBKK for my one nighter for now.

19. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the intro review, few questions come to mind:
    Is that all for the Platinum happy hour benefit?
    What time did you arrive & from which point in town?
    The Heritage Building? Is that the old Russian Embassy structure outside the front door?
    [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  20. VeryGoodPoints

Status Points:
    Hi Kalboz
    At this time, yes, the certificate for drinks at WooBar is all I got in terms of Platinum Happy Hour.
    I arrived from BKK at 3:30pm. It took about 40 minutes to get from the airport to the exit and from the exit to the hotel about 45 minutes.
    The Heritage Building is the old Russian Embassy and as I learned today, was originally commissioned by Lord Sathorn (as your other post points out). They are restoring it and keeping the look and feel as it appears in pictures above.

Stacey

21. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the quick response Stacey ... nice photos and good review at you blog entry! :)

uggboy likes this.
  22. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO traffic once you get off the tollway is awful anywhere - it took over 45 minutes to get to the Westin from the turnoff - anything in that area is a constant traffic jam. I would have walked - but had luggage.

23. VeryGoodPoints

Status Points:
    That's my second least favorite part of town for traffic!

24. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's why I'd mainly use the BTS when going to/from this property :)
    [​IMG]

uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  25. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    John Ollila has blogged with photos about his stay at this property here: W Bangkok – Review of My Stay Over New Years.
    [​IMG]

uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.