W Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Chad, Feb 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    W Hong Kong

I recently completed a three night stay at this property as a Platinum Member.

Booked: Wonderful Room
    Pre-upgrade: to Fabulous Room
    Platinum Upgrade at check in: to Fantastic Suite (with proviso)

The W Hong Kong is one of the few hotels where I risk booking the entry-level room. The chances of getting at least an upgrade to a fabulous room is very high – besides the only thing that differs between the standard rooms is the view.

Check In.

Surprisingly smooth. I’ve had some minor difficulties with the bell staff in the past – for example on my last stay it took over an hour for my luggage to be delivered – however on this stay my cab was promptly met, luggage taken (which actually beat me to my room).

I had “sneaked a peak” earlier that morning on the SPG website and noted that I had been upgraded to a Fabulous Room (subject to the normal disclaimers), when the check in agent told me that I had been upgraded to a Fab room, I politely enquired about a suite – after a lot of fast typing and a call to a supervisor I was told I could have one but it was on a floor they were not planning to assign rooms to, due to construction work that was just beginning (I’ll get to this) – after discussions with the agent I agreed to take this room.

Fantastic Suite.

Comfortable, well appointed, stylish and a good size. The suite has a large LCD TV in the main living area and another B & O TV and sound system in the Bedroom. A relatively large TV is also built into the shower/bath wall.

I’ll let the photos say the rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Entrance to Room)

[​IMG]
    (Living /Lounge Area)

[​IMG]

(Living/Lounge Area – in the other direction)

DeltaExpert, Toula, QF009 and 3 others like this.
  2. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Bedroom)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Bathroom)

ON-GOING RENOVATIONS

The day after I checked in renovations/repairs were started. From what I could gather a problem has developed with the marble floors in the bathrooms – which are being removed and replaced. During my stay the repairs had commenced on the 25th Floor. At check-in I was told that the hotel is trying to avoid assigning rooms two floors below and one floor above which ever floor is being worked on. Currently the work is between 10.00 am and 4 or 5 pm (sorry can’t remember exactly). I was in the room once at around 2pm and the noise is clearly audible. At no time did I hear any construction noise outside of the stated hours.
    I would prefer not to have a standard room near the “construction zone” but for people who are going to be out for most of the day I would happily recommended a suite (if available) on any of the blocked floors around the one being worked on.
    Of course I’m not the project manager – and it’s pretty easy to stick to a schedule at the start of the project – who knows what the construction hours may end up being if the project finds itself two months over deadline!

I like the location. Right above the Kowloon Airport Express station means getting to the hotel is a breeze. The subway also provides easy transport to wherever you wish to go. The attached elements mall also provides some handy restaurant choices, good shopping, a very nice bakery and the upmarket 360 supermarket. Many people compare the location to the Sheraton and saythe Sheraton is in “the heart of things”. I think that is really a personal decision as to what sort of Hong Kong experience you are after.
    Somewhat controversially I also find the “working harbor” views from the W just as appealing as the classic Hong Kong Island View.

Food & Dining

I had breakfast a couple of times at the hotel buffet (not included for platinum members) and found it to be quite good; staffing was good and a wide selection of quality and diverse items was on offer. I felt it represented pretty good value for money – by hotel pricing
    Due to inclement weather and laziness, one evening I also ordered room service – which was actually quite reasonable priced and, well, nice.

[​IMG]
    (Yum – only 3521 calories)

Conclusion

This is one of my favorite Starwood properties in the Asia-Pacific region and definitely my favorite W property. I really like the rooms and I find the service, while not fully up to five star standards, to be professional and friendly. In two weeks I am staying at the W Taipei and am really looking forward to see how it compares.

Flickr set

3. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    My all time favourite hotel in HK. Apart from the Pen of course. But I think the staff, the atmosphere and the overall "cool" factor make it my choice. Everytime.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a nice stay here in an upgraded room (not suite) with a fascinating view. IIRC their rooms come in two color schemes and decors, I had the lighter one, which thus didn't appear black and dark as some W rooms can seem.

5. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for this review! I am excited about our upcoming stay here, in a couple of months.

Does anyone know if SPG Plat members can use some spa facilities or all of it is pay-as-you-go type of arrangement? I am aware that is an open air pool on 77th floor, cannot wait to check out that view!

Best,

PedroNY

6. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    You'll enjoy it. If you mean the bliss spa - as far as I know it is all fee based.

7. QF029
    Original Member

QF029 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've accessed the Bliss spa during a long layover. Cost was a reasonable HK$250 not including the gym or any treatments.

8. SST
    Original Member

SST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really liked this hotel, but some might not because it is a very different Hong Kong experience: you are isolated away from most of the bustle of the city. First, the good: being right above the Kowloon station, airport access is easy in/out. Secondly, the rooms are really, really nice. I found the view interesting as well--- not a dead on view of Victoria Harbor, but in my case a working waterfront and the west side of HK Island in the distance. The pool/jacuzzi up on the 999th floor (it's really high) was a treat. Great views, nice pool & staff, fully enjoyable. The attached mall is a nice respite from the usual HK experience.

Now, the marginal: didn't appreciate that the bar (which is small) was actually closed one night for a function. No big loss, as when it was open it was nothing special. Secondly, you're a LONG walk from anything. You can snake up thru towards Austin station and the big night market (Temple St?), and meander over to Nathan Rd., but it's a hike. Good connection on the MTR below to HK Island, but once you get there you're at the Airport Express Station and it's a long walk to connect to the Island line-- and the trains aren't very frequent. Still, I found myself going over to the midlevels area in the evening rather than Kowloon simply due to the isolated location. This was fine, but I think people ought to be aware that while staying in Kowloon, your metro connection is to Hong Kong Island, not the more common Kowloon destinations.

I didn't find an interior walk down toward the Star Ferry; maybe there is one, but it wasn't obvious. There's a shuttle, but it doesn't run very frequently.

In all, I liked this hotel a lot, and plan to stay there again. I wouldn't recommend it for a first visit to HK; but if you have been a few times and know your way around, the superb suites certainly made this a great property to park yourself at and come home to after days out.

9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Fabulous suite, which I stayed in in April 2009, is my all-time favorite room for design/decor. Overall love the hotel, my favorite W (second favorite is W Seoul). Still, it's hard to stay in HKG and not have the quintessential view of Victoria Harbour and the light show. I had a harbour view from my suite, but of the working Harbour and not the buildings across on the other side.

10. Playbbg
    Original Member

Playbbg Active Member

Status Points:

I would agree that it is my Fav W as well, but I wasn't thrilled with the "Harbour view", as you said its the wrong part of the harbour.

I do have to say- the service at this hotel is better than at most other SPG properties I've stayed at.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've now had upgrades to the cool corner room three times and the fantastic suite (the XX01 units that are somewhat oddly shaped with the door from the bedroom to the bathroom at an angle). I've also had the two different styles, although I admit I'm confused as I don't think of one as darker than the other. To me, the most distinctive difference is the lighting on the bathroom mirror, white flowers versus the purple box.

Anyway, I see pros and cons to the suite versus cool corner room. The suite clearly has a larger bathroom, with a bigger bathtub and much more counter space around the sink. The bliss toiletries are the larger sized (3 ounce?) version. However, the cool corner room has a window over the tub, so that you con enjoy the view as you shower.

In the room itself, the cool corner has a nice shelf for luggage in the entry area, and a full sized closet along one wall of the room. In the suite, the shelf for luggage is inside the small triangular walk-in closet, so that there's very little hanging space and it's hard to access and see the luggage (any hanging clothes seem to block off the light to the suitcase area). The idea seems to be to keep one's belongings all together and out of sight in the small closet, which would be good if one is using the suite for some sort of a small gathering, but less convenient for packing and unpacking IMO.

The cool corner has a chase lounge seating area plus a round table with four chairs and a good desk chair. The desk is large and the work surface leads to the minibar area, complete with a coffee maker (kettle plus French press) and wine glasses in addition to the minibar and snack tray. The suite seems to have a smaller desk and two chairs like at the table in the corner room, with no real desk chair. A lot of the living room space is taken by the L-shaped sofa with many pillows. It's not a real comfortable place to sit. My suite had a small moveable round table for the sofa area and no extra stools as in the pictures of the OP. The minibar area under the TV had the coffee making equipment, minibar, and snack box, but no wine glasses and no beverages other than those in the minibar, so in particular, no full-sized bottle of red wine. I found this strange. The suite only had the two small blue glasses in the bathroom and two very nice glasses with the bedside bottled water, plus two black coffee cups. It wasn't clear how one would consume the champagne and white wine stored in the minibar.

The bedroom in the suite (king bed) was small, but with a fancier TV than in the living room and cool corner room. Both living room and bedroom had ipod docking stations, although the bedroom had an additional sound system in the suite. The suite bedroom had an unobstructed wall of windows, so that one could get somewhat of a view from the bed, although my suite was too high to see the working harbor while sitting or laying in bed. There were two generously sized bedside tables with the same alarm clock (analogue, not digital) as in the corner room.

Overall, the suite is larger and has a larger and somewhat more luxurious but interior bathroom. However, depending on the situation, the cool corner room might well be preferable as being more convenient (closet/luggage, desk and desk chair, round table). The corner room has a view of the city and tunnel entrance/working harbor), while the suite has views of the tunnel entrance and the container area of the working harbor, which seemed to be where the action was. Surprisingly, neither has views of any airplanes when I was there, although the views seem to include the general direction of the airport.

12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Add a tiny kitchen and I could live in a Fantastic Suite at the W Hong Kong. ;)

chanp and QF009 like this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem with living here is that I would spend too much money in the Elements mall. They have a bunch of seriously upscale shops all in one place and attached to the W, so a good thing to do on a rainy day in Hong Kong.

14. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had my first stay in a cool corner room last week and agree with MSPeconomist about the strengths of the room. It also pretty much had the most "traditional" harbour view you'll get at this hotel. Looking between two buildings you et a clear view of the harbour streching from about the Conrad on the Left to the IFC on the right.

Also my table only had two chairs - so I hope the missing two don't find their way onto my bill!

Re: the suite - from memory a part of the cabinet lifts up? next to the TV in the living room housing the standard array of glasses. To be honest I can't remember exactly - but I do remember not being able to find any and then stumbling across them.

15. QF009
    Original Member

QF009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fab report! One of my fave Ws, and all time fave hotels anywhere in the world!

As mentioned above there are 2 different design schemes at this W. I prefer the G&A rooms, as depicted above, as they're by far funkier and more 'W.' The other design, Glamourous is more subdued.

Agree that they're extremely generous with upgrades. I've never had less than a Fantastic Suite, and have even scored Marvellous Suites on 2 occasions. I prefer the more unusual layout of the Fantastic Suite, as the Marvellous Suites whilst larger are a bit boxy. Would've got Marvellous more often had I not insisted on the G&A design scheme and indicated that I preferred to be downgraded - end of the day design is more important to me than space.

16. QF009
    Original Member

QF009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hehehe... totally agree! Everytme I stay here my credit card goes white hot... And to make matters worse a whole bunch of new shops (including a new Louis Vuitton) were about to open when I was last there, rendering it unecessary to go elsewhere for shopping.

17. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    All those new stores are open now that the ICC tower is just about finished.

18. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a great property. LOVE the pool and jacuzzi on the roof. Coolest rooftop city pool ever.
    [​IMG]
    When you get off the elevator on 76th floor, this is the lobby/walkway to the roof pool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DeltaExpert, Biscuet and Toula like this.
  19. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed there a few fri's ago. Booked lowest cat and was upgraded to the exact room in the pics above, but 36th floor. The property is wonderul and would stay here again if I went back to HK.

20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are gas (?) heaters above the chaise lounges on the pool deck so that the area can be used on cold days. However, sometimes the water temperature in the main pool is nice and warm, so swimable on cool days and when I've checked at other times, it was too cold to be appealing. However, there's always the hot tub off to the far right side of the pool deck (when you enter the outdoor area). Even if you don't want to swim or drink, come up for the views!

Jslo likes this.
  21. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just want to say thanks to everyone for putting out such great info on this property. We usually stay in the Grand Hyatt when we go to HK, but because of the great info provided on this thread we have decided to stay at the W later this month. We managed to book 5 nights for 48k points which seems like an excellent deal for this hotel.

Chad and Jslo like this.
  22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is, especially since using points exempts you from the 10% "service" charge at this property, standard in Hong Kong and much of Asia. You must report back on your experience here.

23. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok I know I am going to be in the minority here, but we recently had a 2 day stay at the W Hotel and have to say we did not really like the place. However, don't think it is anything to do with the hotel rather than it not being a good fit with our personalities.

The room itself was comfortable, bed was great, however there were a few design faults. For example, where you put your luggage the mirrors make it impossible to leave the case open. The bathroom sink, every time I returned to the room I almost expected to see mozzies breeding in the little bit of water that did not drain away. Other thing was the hair dryer was on the wrong side of the basin.

Our biggest disappointment were the in-house restaurants. We ate breakfast at Kitchen both days, have no doubt that the buffet is delicious but service was a bit off. This is being picky, but as it is Asia I do expect a better standard. For example, my husband finished his plate and returned to the buffet. They removed his plate, left his empty juice glass but removed my half full juice glass from in front of me where I was sitting. When I went to the buffet for another taste, my empty plate remained on the table whilst all the servers stood around taking in the view.

Also did not really like the location. We did use the hotel shuttle to get to the ferry terminal but it is kind of out of the way. I know it is possible to use trains etc, but when it is a short visit we like to be able to walk to our target locations.

So for us the W moves beneath the Grand Hyatt. However next time we think we may try the IC or Conrad to see how they compare.

24. We live in HK and have frequented the hotel. Definitely the place for a bit of dirty fun with your mistress, but not really a good scene for tourists.. atlas first time tourist. You find it all becomes a bit of bridge and tunnel quickly.

25. heakja

heakja Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just finished a stay at this hotel. Like others here have said: This is a truly great hotel, and their plat recognition is good.

However, you are a light sleeper (like me), you might try to get a room not facing the freeway - or at least a high floor room (16 is the lowest, 38 the highest). We got upgraded to a Fantastic suite on the 18th floor, but decided to change to a standard room (not sure what kind) on the 37th floor: The traffic noise which was not completly blocked out, was just not something I wanted the night before a long trip back to Europe. It seems that the rooms/suites ending in xx01 (and the ones close to that) is most effected by the freeway and harbor traffic. Again, this issue probably only applies to the noise sensitive out there - most of you would not give up on a suite I guess.:)