W Chicago - City Center

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by flyer_o, Jul 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting there: W City Center is within three blocks of both the Orange and Blue lines, making it readily accessible from both Midway and O'Hare. Coming from O'Hare, I took the blue line (hopped off at Damen for some Big Star tacos) and made it to the hotel without any difficulty. The nearby JW Marriott and Club Quarters hotels can serve as visual waypoints for first timers. The CTA fare is $2.25. A cab would be approximately ~$40 from ORD and in my experience not much of a time saver during rush-hour.

Check-in: The hotel was full, given the Cubs-Cardinals series and summer in Chicago. No suites were available, though the check-in agent promised that I was upgraded to one of "the best spectacular rooms". Points or breakfast was offered, no local amenity. I took points as I had other breakfast plans.

Room: I was assigned room 703, which met most of my needs. I liked the relatively stark white lay out of this large room. The chaise ended up being a great place to relax while in the room. The TV and desk were as far away from the bed as possible, which could be a problem for some. Upon arriving, my girlfriend quickly noted that the toilet was placed such that one could not sit down without turning sideways - a big design flaw that is a function of these older hotel conversions. Beside that, no problems. Having chosen MAGC, we didn't experience housekeeping, but they were ever present and seemed to be on the ball. We did use room service which was prompt. One of the entrees was solid, the other less so.

IMG00327-20120727-1907.jpg
    IMG00328-20120727-1907.jpg IMG00329-20120727-1908.jpg

Getting around: The W City Center is in the Loop, which can be quiet at nights and on the weekends, something that could be a problem for some people. Being less than a 10 minute walk away from Michigan Ave. or State Street, I didn't find the location at all inconvenient. Additionally, given the proximity to all of the CTA options, I felt like moving about was easier than a location that might be closer to Michigan Ave, but limited to a single train option. For example, we took the blue line in from ORD, the pink line, the brown line and the orange line without having to walk more than a few minutes.

The verdict: An above average experience. A much better quality experience than my previous experience at the W Lakeshore. Depending on price and my location needs, I would strongly consider the W City Center again.

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing!:)

servo46250 and flyingdawg like this.
  3. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of my close friends is an employee of the hotel, and was going to get me the employee star/hot rate (which I think is $89) for my upcoming visit, but there's something big going on the weekend of Aug 24th, so the rate wasn't available. This is a great review, and one I will keep in mind when I have enough starpoints for a future visit. Everyone in town recommended that if I couldn't get the W- City Center hot rate, that I do the Days Inn at Clark and Diversey, so that's where I ended up. Also, if you have free time, the restaurant and bar Longman and Eagle is fantastic, and if you like bourbon (I grew up in KY, so I certainly do), they have an incredible selection.

4. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great review flyer_o !
    Thank you!

uggboy likes this.
  5. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed here a few times and I think the staff is great at this property.