W Barcelona - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by mundosurfer, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Hotel is located on Barceloneta region on Barcelona, it is a little out of the way if you have never been to Barcelona so the LM might be a better option for you. In the summer it is a perfect location for the beach and there are plenty of restaurants nearby. There were mixed reviews on FT about Taxi availability and I found a line of taxis waiting outside the hotel during the day and well into the morning hours on the weekend.
    As an SPG plat I got a suite upgrade to the ocean view rooms at end of floor, don't recall the name of the suite. The concierge walked us up to our room and we had wine and chocolates as a gift.
    Living Room Bar - Drinks were very good, pricing in line with the type of hotel and the service was slow at the bar because it was very crowded and they are mixing up mojitos, bellinis and Old Fashioned by the dozens.

Bravo Restaurant - Service was great, prices are high due to the Michelin * Rating, but Somelier was excellent in helping us select a wine from the huge book. He presents value and quality rather than pointing you to their more expensive bottles. Interesting to not that all Rioja wines in the book are Tempranillo and there were no Reserva.

Eclipse Bar - Good crowd on Saturday night, mix of young and old from Spain and other tourist. No problems getting in if you are staying at hotel, they will let you skip the line.

There have been mixed reviews on the property on FT but it seems to me they are getting much better. The only issue I had was the SPG points posting properly, I have submitted a claim and the response from SPG was a little confusing so I will have to follow up.

ETA: Points Situation was resolved by SPG Member services!
  2. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

I had an excellent stay recently. Booked cheapest, upgraded to a huge corner suite with wrap around views of city, beach and sea. The pool and beach are perfect and the service was mostly excellent. Only a bit of poor service from the "hot chick" waitresses by the pool and Eclipse. The valet parking guys are great and there is no extra charge for their service. In and out included.

I've stayed many times at the LM in town which is better located if you don't have a car. But the W is a far, far better hotel. Slightly better than the W HKG in fact.

Interesting fact: This property is the mirror image of the IC Dubai when viewed from outside. I asked about that at check out and was told that a lot of people comment on this. However I was told that the W had a unique Catalan architect. I find that kind of hard to believe as the two certainly seem identical.
    miles and smiles, heakja and Toula like this.