W Barcelona a Must Stay

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by TrippePanAM, Dec 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    The weekend following Thanksgiving I had the pleasure of Staying at the W hotel in Barcelona. It is an excellent property and is in a beautiful location. The Hotel has views of the entire coast and historic center of the city. The Service was top notch and is part ofthe Reason I love staying at Starwood properties. I think the W chain is a great asset the sleek modern design of each hotel is cool. It is a nice change from the traditional grand historic luxery hotels in europe. On the 26th floor there is a hip, and trendy bar that is popular at night.

Located right on the beach and could be described as a resort if visiting during the summe. Great pool deck though unusable due to time of year. The water would have been a bit cold in Late november. can walk to the historic center in about 15 minutes. For the enduring aviation enthusiasts you are in the landing pattern for BCN and can plane watch. has two dining options for breakfast both of which were tasty. The concierge was extremly helpful in picking out dinner locations. I can speak spanish and decide so with them at some occasions but also spoke english and they had no qualms about helping in whatever language I wanted to speak. I would describe the hotel as icnoic and is one of the tallest buildings really close to the Historic center of Barcelona.

Downside is it is a little isolated from the shopping area if that is your primary interest. In addtion at night I took cabs to most places downtown to avoid long walks.

As an SPG gold I was upgraded to room with a great view.

Regarding Barcelona pretty city very walkable and it has a lot of cool buildings. I will try and get some pictures posted of the hotel

I would be happy to answer any questions

MJonTravel, canucklehead and NYBanker like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    What were the temperatures in November?

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like you I enjoyed my stay at this property .. 15 mins from the historic center?? .. not unless you are Usain Bolt.:)

Its actually about a 15 min walk to the nearest subway station.
    I suppose if you consider Baric Gotic the historic "centre" of Barcelona the hotel is about 3.0 km as the crow flies but its got to take much, much, more than 45 mins for people walking at a normal pace.

4. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed just before Halloween and the weather was fine. I loved swimming in the sea. And we very much enjoyed the enormous wraparound suite upgrade. I booked the cheapest room and I think I got a suite that goes for over €2000 per night. I ended up cancelling the other hotel I had booked for the kids, and we slept 7 in the suite. :)

We drove to Barcelona, so getting into town was easy with a car. Valet parking costs the same as self-parking and the staff were mostly excellent. The only exception being the poolside waitresses who suffer from "hot chick" syndrome.

5. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love to try out the W for my next visit to BCN, but as my stays are for only one night I guess I'll just stick with the LM, which is much more centrally located. How far would it be to walk from LM to W ?

6. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mauld, it would be a very, very far walk. Take a taxi.

I can say for a one night stay as Platinum, you ought to be able to get a super nice suite at the W. And if the weather is nice there is the beach and swimming in the sea. However if you are traveling alone and it's a winter visit, then the LM may be the best choice.

7. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thinking of staying here for 3 nights after a cruise in November. Sounds like a good spot.

8. pureGLAMtv

pureGLAMtv Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will give it a try next week - weather in April sounds great - 15-20°C - compared to 0°-5°C in the middle of Europe and will write my review after the trip... - but it sounds great and I cannot wait to make my next W-Experience :)