W Austin

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by flyer_o, Jan 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Rate: $207++ per night

Getting There: I took the 100 Airport bus from AUS to 6th and Lavaca and walked the 3 blocks to the hotel. A taxi would be $20-25.

Check-in: I arrived a bit before the posted check-in time and was able to access my room immediately. As a SPG gold, I got an upgrade from my booked wonderful room to a spectacular room.

The hotel: Very "W", dark and modern. Lifts require key card access. Gym/pool/spa on the 4th floor. Gym was great, new equipment, a studio for yoga, et al and a good combination of free weights and machines. As expected, gym gets a but crowded during the am rush. 3 bar "areas" and TRACE restaurant were extremely popular over the long weekend that I was there. Very interesting that the W and the surrounding restaurants and bars near Guadeloupe are such a scene. Happy hour is a great bargain. $5 drinks and $5 apps. IIRC, happy hour was from 3:30-6:30. We were able to schedule the Acura service no problem. I can imagine it would get a bit crazy here during some of the festivals but I think that's to be expected

IMG00217-20120113-1330.jpg

IMG00218-20120113-1331-1.jpg

IMG00216-20120113-1330.jpg
    The verdict: a really nice hotel and welcome addition to Austin. Downtown Austin is hotel poor and having the W as an option for a higher end stay (along w/ the FS and Driskill) is definitely a welcome addition. The staff was, as expected, unfailingly nice. A reflection of Texas manners and a lack of the affectation that one occasionally encounters with W staff (South Beach).

iolaire, MLW20, reever and 6 others like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing!

Was this building custom built to be a W, or do you get the sense it was adapted from something else?

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My impression is that it was custom built. It seems to be a brand new building.

I like the lighter color scheme. The blue looks very relaxing.

flyer_o and DeltaExpert like this.
  4. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely custom built. The top floors of the building house the condo residences while the hotel occupies floors 1-16.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this one of the Ws where the big panels of glass were falling to the sidewalk?

6. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Sure was. Seems like that problem has been fixed. :D

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would certainly hope it has been fixed.

8. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing! It looks amazing.