W Atlanta Perimeter Will No Longer Be A W, Still Participate in SPG

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by mowogo, Apr 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The W Atlanta Perimeter (the Second ever W) will be losing its flag June 1. Fortunately, it is still going to participate in SPG and will keep the same decor, even though its new name will be Atlanta Perimeter Hotel & Suites.

flyingdawg likes this.
  2. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad to see SPG taking this approach - they did the same thing with the newly-acquired New York Helmsley.

In each case, SPG can take its their time deciding which "family" to permanently flag the hotel under, while in the meantime SPG members can earn points and enjoy status perks. Win-win.

3. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    to be honest, the W Atlanta Perimeter shouldn't have been a W to begin with. The location and physical plant say this should be a Sheraton at best. I forgot what it was before it was a W. I don't think this property will be missed as a W.

4. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    flyingdawg likes this.
  5. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually think it was an old Westin, that they changed to a W when they were launching the brand. Quite honestly, I could see them doing some major renovations and the property becoming a flagship property of whatever brand they choose, just to show off to IHG, located 1 mile down the road.

6. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    They really had too many W's and they were starting to compete with eachother. The 3 left are all great hotels

W Atlanta Midtown-best for platinum members
    W Atlanta Buckhead-stay away spg plats. No suites.
    W Atlanta Downtown