W at the Foshay, Minneapolis (Minnesota) - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MSPeconomist, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first W hotel in the Upper Midwest opened in Minneapolis in late summer, 2008, although the official opening party was delayed to September 2008. The hotel is located in the Foshay Tower, which was once the highest building in this part of the US. It's about twenty stories tall and I would describe its style as art deco. There's a museum on the history of the building and an observation deck on the top floor; your keycard is worth free admission.

This W has the obligatory Living Room, a bar area in their restaurant, and another bar at the top which opens late in the afternoon. The restaurant (and room service food) is Manny's, a steakhouse that moved into the W from another downtown location. The Living Room has complimentary morning coffee and it's possible to get a quick pastry in Manny's Bar for breakfast (or to grab and go), in addition to the regular breakfast in Manny's restaurant. There's a second more casual restaurant off of the lobby which is a long-standing local favorite for breakfast, lunch, and informal early dinners; the pathway is hidden and hard to find.

There are about ten rooms and suites per floor in this property. As a Plat, I've had upgraded rooms and small suites. All have modern furniture, huge desks, and big pink oval minibars. Most suites are located in corners of the building and include small round dining tables. The hallways have black carpet and are very dark. Rooms seem to have good soundproofing in that parties and rowdy people in the hallways did not disturb me.

There's valet parking at the door. Acura Experience rides are available, including to the light rail (airport and Mall of America line) station that's about five blocks away. I believe that this property uses an off-premises health club and spa; there is no pool. The hotel is connected to the skyway system, but the connection tends to not be open much beyond business week hours, so that it's not very useful.

2. airoli
    Original Member

airoli Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at this hotel during a slow time just before Xmas, and was impressed. Although on a low rate, I was upgraded (as a Plat) to one of their top-floor, around-the corner suites. The room was relatively narrow (as the building narrows towards the top), but very stylish and with good views. It occupied a quarter of the entire floor. I asked for a few CDs from their advertised library, and a good selection was provided to play in the in-room stereo.

We had drinks in the large living room downstairs, which with its large fireplace and cowhide couches etc. was comfy on a cold winter's day. Subsequent dinner at Manny's was as good a steakhouse experience as you could hope for. Later at night, we went to the top floor Prohibition bar, which while offering great views was not too special otherwise.

I did not investigate the breakfast or gym options.

3. PoorMansBidet
    Original Member

PoorMansBidet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its amazing to see how small this building is compared to the more recent buildings around it. Its an interesting looking piece of architecture.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foshay_Tower

I've never stayed at the hotel but have attended a few parties there and definitely enjoy Prohibition Bar at the top (former Office and boardroom of Wilbur Foshay)