VS Upper Class vs. SQ J

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by unavaca, Jan 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    So in light of VS' ejection as a CO partner, I have one more award trip left toward Europe. I'm currently booked in SQ J on an A380. Is it worth dropping that and switching to VS Upper Class?

2. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not just no, but oh hell no. If you really want the VS J experience fly AC J same hard product better food.

3. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hm, really? I see lucky rave so much about VS UC, I figured it'd be on the same level as SQ J.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nowhere close.

The seat is pretty good (NZ uses it, too, in addition to AC) and the food in the air is supposedly getting better but I've had a couple inedible meals on board. The service is a horrible crapshoot and the Clubhouse is fun enough, but doesn't make up for the shortcomings on board IMO.

unavaca likes this.
  5. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I found the VS seat way too firm — to the point of being very hard — when flipped over to the sleeping side. It was fine for sitting up, but other than the fact it went totally flat, it really wasn't that comfortable for sleeping. One of my flights was better than the other in that area, but on the one that was worse, it was almost like trying to sleep on a piece of plywood with a 0.25" thick layer of foam on top.

As for food, our LHR-CPT flight had incredible food. JNB-LHR had food that was fine — perfectly edible and not awful by any means — but nothing exciting. In fact, I've routinely had better meals in CO domestic F over the years, and CO's less desirable domestic F entrées were only slightly worse than what we had on VS that night.

traveltoomuch and unavaca like this.
  6. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahh okay. I've done AC J before on YYZ-LHR, so it sounds like I'm not missing much on VS... except perhaps some crappy meals :D

Thanks guys!

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    you're welcome.

8. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard Mixed reviews of VS ingflight. SQ J is good though I am convinced the expierence is better on the 380 and 777 then the 747 which is what I opted for. However, i would not have had it any other way . I am a 747 man

9. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Concur.

unavaca likes this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said.

unavaca likes this.