Voting for MIleagePlus?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Aug 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got this in an email from UA:

Cast your vote: help us repeat as best award program.

Thank you for being a loyal member of the best frequent flyer program as voted by Global Traveler Magazine last year. Help MileagePlus repeat by voting before August 31.

--------------

Anyone going to vote for MP in light of the upcoming potential changes? Obviously, the fair thing would be to vote based on today's program.

EX-LAX likes this.
  2. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    No chance. Fair is relative just the same way UA decides what is "fair" with how many RDM they give or UDU, or whatever. With rumored changes UA does not get my vote.

mht_flyer and Scottrick like this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except that the outcome of the vote will affect future behavior, on the part of both consumers and United, who may confuse a vote in favor of past policy as support for future policy.

It's the same way with political elections. Voting for a politician shouldn't be about what they did. It should be about what they will do if elected. Past behavior is an indicator of future behavior, but it is not a guarantee (especially when you have these rumors).

4. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    You mean the program that has taken away 4 CR1's, made SWU's very difficult to use, made the boarding process into a zoo, equalized elite check in and security, taken away pillows and given us gauze blankets, stopped special meals, began serving snacks when there should be a meal? Do you mean that present program? No I will not be voting for that program.

dildooba44 and lightangel like this.
  5. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not all of those are aspects of the frequent flier program, though - granted, it is difficult to entirely isolate the program from the airline but I wouldnt be judging Mileage Plus based on the fact that there are no pillows in F.

6. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    The idea that UA winning a vote would dictate or influence how the new program is shaped it pretty flimsy at best. At the end, it will be all about making the new UA profitable. The vote will mean nothing, but if you still think DL or AA programs are better as they currently stand, then by all means, vote for them.

-CR1s taken away, replaced by UDU. You may not like it, but many do (and I would bet good money that it is the majority)
    -SWU's hard to use? Until you show me an instance where your SWU has not cleared, this point is moot. People pee and moan they can't use SWUs, but just because you can't clear right at booking, does not mean you won't.
    -Boarding process? You mean the one they fixed after admitting they made a mistake?
    -Pillows, err, fart sponges?
    -Gauze blankets? Maybe you have a point, but hardly the end of the world. I am sure if UA could still charge $700+ for an average transcon tkt in economy like they used to in the 90's, they would still have blankets. I don't understand how people can complain about reduced benefits when fare prices have been pushed as low as they are. Do you know why underwear at Walmart is cheap? Because the quality sucks.
    -Special meals? Read my point above. Snacks? Read above.

No doubt every airline has been cutting on service. But I place the blame squarely on the US traveling public. People want it all, but do not want to pay for it. :rolleyes:

Stop making sense. You will confuse some people.

Bottom line is, until UA proves that the "rumored" changes are real, I will withhold judgment, and actually happen to think UA still has the best rewards program of any US airline, which is why I chose to fly UACO.

7. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    / \
    .|
    .|
    .|
    +1 - What he says.