Vomiting in a cab could cost Florida passengers $50 puke tax

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Dec 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/09/03/vomiting-in-cab-could-cost-florida-passengers/

Have trouble holding your liquor? Hope you’ve got some extra cash.

Tired of tourists spewing in the back seat, taxi drivers in Key West, Fla. are advocating for a city ordinance that would require passengers pay a $50 surcharge for soiling their vehicle.

“In the event that a taxicab passenger soils the interior of a taxicab with bodily fluids or solids,” read the proposed ordinance, which has been tentatively approved by the Key West City Commission. “A $50 clean-up fee will be added to the trip fare.”

The final hearing on the issue is on Wednesday. If the rule is imposed, Key West will join other cities like Chicago and Austin, which both have a citywide vomit tax. In Austin, the puke penalty is a hefty $100 added to the original trip fare.

Read More: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/09/03/vomiting-in-cab-could-cost-florida-passengers/

iolaire, Newscience, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  2. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds totally fair to me. If nothing else the cab companies should be able to cover the cost of the time the cab is unavailable for hire due to cleaning. I think $50-100 is totally reasonable... and I wouldn't think the risk of paying the vomit tax will push would-be drunk drivers back to their cars.

LizzyDragon84, uggboy, MX and 2 others like this.
  3. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Better get a bucket. Buuuuurp.

4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Disapproves.....
    Monthy_Pythons_The_Meaning_of_Life_MrCreosoteSketch.jpg

sobore likes this.
  5. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think its more in NYC -- somewhere north of a $100 but I thankfully dont have personal experience in this.

6. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I totally agree with you. I think $50 is still a bit too cheap, though. Who wants to get in a taxi smelling vomit?

LizzyDragon84 and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Friday bus had someone vomit on it prior to picking me up, it was nasty smelling even though there was not a visual issue.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds fair to me. And I don't think it'll push drunks to their own cars (and really, if you can't hold it, you probably shouldn't be in a vehicle period).

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. This is not a "tax". It is a charge imposed by the cab company to (probably only partially) cover the cost of taking the car out of service to clean it. It's only a government issue (if at all, I didn't read the article) because government permission is required to change cab fares.

2. I can't believe that this is even controversial.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think people who get so plastered they puke in cabs are going to be swayed one way or the other by an extra $50.