Voluntary downgrade?

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by Mapsmith, Jun 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having not rented from Hertz for about 10 years, I was able to rent a Premium for a one way from PBI to TUS for about $600 less than any other vehicle or rental company.

My question is can I voluntarily downgrade at PBI to something less than a Premium (say a midsize SUV) for the same price? Although an Impala, Maxima or Volvo would be nice on a cross country drive, I feel that a RAV4 or something might actually get better mileage.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good one-way rental deals out of FL are often due to the need to relocate certain cars. If the same deal is not available in other car sizes, then you won't be able to downgrade at the same rate. But do check competitor rates periodically in the car category you prefer.

traveltoomuch and Mapsmith like this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I had a really cheap rate but had to cancel. Then I found this one that was about half of everything else. Will keep checking but driving cross country in a premium is not awful

traveltoomuch and MX like this.
  4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depending on the whims of pricing, you might find that it is cheaper to make two back-to-back rentals, eg. PBI-IAH, IAH-TUS. There are plausible breakpoints all along the way: MCO and PHX seem like they might be interesting. Or MSY. Or SAT.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    Mapsmith likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes its funny how this works. I priced a one-way rental MSY/TPA and found I could save almost $140 of the cost (from the original $295 by dropping off the car either in Pensacola or Tallahassee and picking another for the rest of the journey. :)

icurhere2 and Mapsmith like this.
  6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have to try those approaches. Moving some stuff from the Mother-In-Law's Place as she downsizes. Wife says we can take the stuff and I was "Volunteered" to fly out and drive back. Fortunately no Furniture needs to be moved.

flyforawg likes this.
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looked at breaking it up. Can actually get a spectacular price from PBI to MSY. $69 for everything. But from MSY to TUS or PHX the price is more than double the PBI to TUS that I have. Must not need cars in the Desert in the Summer.

I think that the deal on the Premium is to simply move high priced inventory out of Florida for the new car year.

8. MKShipton

MKShipton Active Member

Status Points:
    I would concur with the other posts on here. You received the great rate on that particular vehicle because they need to get the vehicle to another location. It appears to the customer as a great deal, but actually is saving the rental company from paying to transport the car. It never hurts to ask, but I doubt they would honor the same rate for another car.

9. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a final update. Three days before the trip, I was checking to see what else might be available. Using Kayak, Orbitz, and Expedia to look at a lot of companies quickly. Saw a Standard SUV through Expedia for Alamo at about $50 less for the entire trip. Booked that, got a good Dodge Journey. Trip made, good outcome.

MX likes this.