VOIP Service

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Captain Oveur, May 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was considering getting Vonage, but their customer service spooked me (long story). Now, I'm considering getting Ooma instead.

I'm aware of the pricing differences, but trying to figure out which one to go with. Any good or bad experiences?

Side note: I need two phone numbers, with autonomous Caller IDs (one for personal, one for business) from my home. Only way either service delivers with that is to get two boxes for each.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have Ooma Teleo.

Pros: supports 2 lines (including "line on demand") and direct outbound calling via iPhone and Android app (new version is more stable, I had issues with early Android version when using WiFi in France). Call forward, dual-ring, and email of voicemail has worked well.

Cons: The wireless handsets that work with the unit are not ready for prime-time. Oh, yes, they can access many of the features, but the sound quality is poor (think cheap cell-phone) and the speakerphone function of the wireless handset leaves much to be desired.

Pro or con, depending on your view: my outbound CID always shows "private caller" instead of my Ooma number. I think that can be fixed, but I've never bothered.

Woot seems to have the Teleo base on a fairly regular basis for a little over $100 (that was my source). I've also seen them at Costco (better return policy).

jbcarioca and bakedpatato like this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had OOMA about a year now and have been pretty happy with it. I'm paying $3.47 a month in taxes compared to $22 a month I was paying before for measured service with AT&T, so just about paid for. I ported my existing number over and that cost an extra $40 and was done as scheduled. Call quality is fine.

I've only had one serious problem with them and it involved outgoing calls to a specific cable company's phone service. In that case, I would hear ringing on me end, while the recipient would answer the phone on the first ring and not hear anyone on the line. They'd hang up. If they stayed on the line I'd get through after a couple rings. It was identified as a glitch with that particular cable companies phone service. Took a couple weeks to fix.

See if you can access their forum:
    http://www.ooma.com/forums/

I should add that I did not port my existing phone until I had the service for a month to make sure it was running fine. They gave me a new number for that period. I bought mine at Coscto just so I could easily return it if I wasn't happy. Currently selling at my local Costco for $179.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies so far.

From what I understand in the Ooma support forums, I need to use that awful Telo Handset for two-line capability on one box, and the Caller ID thing is only with one line.

I'm guessing I'll need to buy two boxes for true two-line functionality.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Basic Ooma doesn't include caller ID. I have the premium service (9.95 a month), and I love it. Ooma has been flawless and the voice quality is far better than any other VOIP I've seen (confirmed by a review in PC Mag, in which Ooma topped Vonage). I also have a bunch of MagicJacks -- I keep one for "commercial" calls, i.e. when I have to give a phone number to someone I don't want to have access to my private line, and others for travel. There is absolutely no comparison. MJ often has echoes and can sound tinny, whereas Ooma has better sound quality than any wired-line phone I've ever used. I also use Ooma for calling China -- its rates are about the same as MJ (around 2 cents/minute), the calls always go through (unlike MJ), and the voice quality is fantastic. I'm very happy with my Ooma (even with the Teleo handset) and wouldn't trade it for anything.

jbcarioca and taiwaned like this.
  6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the basic service and it does display the ID of the person/company calling. Maybe they haven't disabled it in my case as I just have the basic plan.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Ooma hub shows inbound caller id, but just shows the number as an outbound caller id (I just tested this calling my work phone.)

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're correct, and my mistake. What wasn't included in basic service was voicemail-to-email.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. dotorg
    Original Member

dotorg Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think you can get caller ID to work without the Teleo Handsets, I have it working on mine, but indeed you need premier.

I've used the ooma hubs since testing the Alpha release, and the service has gotten a LOT better. It continues to be our primary phone and costs nothing (although new devices do cost some montly taxes)

I don't like the DECT handsets (which should come with a warning in the USA like in Europe) but prefer to use some of the older 5Ghz wireless handsets from pannasonic and uniden. Yes, some features don't work with regular handsets, but we don't need them really.

I'm put ooma devices in many people/family/friends homes, they all seem pretty happy with it, enough that about 50% cancel their POTS lines

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is the problem with DECT handsets? I have a bunch of them.

12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still use Vonage and have stopped looking for other choices. I now have French, UK, US numbers and do call forwarding to anything I need with zero problems. There were some customer service issues at the beginning but now it is superb, for me anyway. I tried several others, not Ooma, but Vonage always works. Traveling I use Skype and have had no problems either. OTOH, I do avoid using mobile phones, even my smartphone, because i want better sound quality, so I usually use my iPad or Laptop with good earbuds.

13. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've also had Vonage for quite a while and am very happy. I had the full plan which had calling to foreign countries included. In the last month I cut it down to the minimum which I think is 200 minutes for $14.99. As I've used my cell and Skype more my Vonage usage had averaged about 125 minutes/month so 200 works. The only thing I kinda miss from the higher plan is the transcribed messages being emailed to me.

14. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again for the feedback.

I ended up purchasing a pair of Ooma Telos from Costco ($179 each from local store), one for each line (one personal, one business).

15. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you forward the Vonage call to Google Voice? If so you can get your messages emailed and txt messages to your phone. I use Google Voice as my primary voice mail.

16. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    DECT 6.0 handsets have a different way of communicating with the base, whereby they are always sending signals back and forth over the microwave frequencies that they operate on.

In Germany, they have warning labels on them that recommends not putting them in babies rooms, or next to your bed due to the amount of radiation that they produce 24 hour a day within a meter of the device. Higher than most mobile phones. This applies to generation 1 and 2 of the DECT hardware spec. I THINK we are now getting Gen 3 devices which have enabled a sleep mode that the device will go into when put back on the base station/or charging station.

These handsets function very well, but there appear to be many people who have had environmental problems with their usage.

17. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never tried it because GV didn't sound like anything I needed. I like the idea of calls getting transcribed, but truthfully I get just a message or two a week on that line lately. Most of my clients and friends either call/text my cell or send an email.

18. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The benefit (although the transcription is not the greatest) is that you can get both cell and home messages the same way. I don't use my Google Number often but my cell phone voicemail goes directly to Google Voice and not my carrier.