Visa To Become Exclusive Brand For Consolidated United And Continental Airlines U.S. Co-Branded Card

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Horse, Aug 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Visa Inc., a global leader in payments, and United Continental Holdings, Inc. today announced a multi-year agreement extending Visa’s decades-long partnership with United as the airline transitions to a single loyalty program, MileagePlus. Through the agreement, Visa will become the exclusive payment network partner for newly issued cards of the consolidated United and Continental co-branded portfolio. Rest of press release here

mht_flyer, TAHKUCT, Kaanapali and 7 others like this.
  2. BeachMiles
    Original Member

BeachMiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does seem like a strange way to promote a brand. However, I was glad to get my 50K Bonus in June.

Freddie Listo, Chimpy and Horse like this.
  3. BeachMiles
    Original Member

BeachMiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am waiting for them to offer a 50K Bonus on the United card.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Continental card still exists. The Continental card is a Mastercard. When the programs are merged for next year, Mastercard holders will remain Mastercard holders at least for awhile, you will actually have a United Explorer Mastercard, and they won't be transitioning you right away...

BeachMiles and Horse like this.
  5. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right. But since a United MC does not exist now, do you think they will reprint all the CO MC's next year with the United name? Plus, wouldn't this contradict the press release that UA and CO will only use Visa for it's credit cards after the merger? And do you believe these MC's will eventually be transitioned into Visa's?

BeachMiles and Freddie Listo like this.
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Eventually transition to Visa, but in no hurry..

BeachMiles and Horse like this.
  7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 Would love to keep MC

Horse likes this.
  8. FPL

FPL

Thinking of getting the CO Presidential Plus card for access to President's clubs lounges. Does United have a similar program for same fee? Thanks

Horse likes this.
  9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    They did (still do?) However, it had a higher annual fee and I think the PPlus card has better benefits. It really doesn't matter which card you get if you just want to get into a club since either one will get you into both clubs. If you care about benefits, then maybe it matters. I expect them to release a new card for the post-merger UA, but I also expect it to be very similar to the PPlus card since the new United Explorer card has benefits almost identical to the CO OnePass Plus card.

Horse and TAHKUCT like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, it's worth noting that they started changing the benefits one gets with the Pplus card...

Horse likes this.