Visa Requirements Lifted For Short Stays in China

Discussion in 'Asia' started by rwoman, Jan 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    NY Times: Visa Requirements Lifted For Short Stays in China

Good news for those wanting to visit China - a short visit, anyway!

:)

garyst16, 8MiHi, desamo and 3 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ideal for stop-overs, I suppose. A great move by China, should be extended in the future too.

desamo, Kalboz and rwoman like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, amazing! I wonder how long it will be before airline GAs know about the change and allow people to board without visas.

Should one worry about problems if a return flight is cancelled or delayed, making one exceed the 72 hour limit?

I'm a bit surprised that at least CAN isn't included too, as they traditionally do a lot of international business and have an international airport which, in fact, is the home of CZ.

ADDED. I wonder whether the quoted passage is correct in that it's for residents rather than citizens of the USA. Most visa requirements are based on one's passport, not legal residence. Temporary residents (suc as most student and training visas) might not be treated the same as permanent residents.

The 72 hour rule might require some creative flight scheduling to get two full days in China since many airline schedules depart several hours after arrival; they turn around an aircraft at PVG or PEK, so that the obvious flight would only allow you to stay for something like 50-55 hours.

uggboy likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that China already has transit without visa for passengers who genuinely connect through China to a third country. It's 48 hours in Shanghai (and you can change airports), IIRC 24 hours in PEK and CAN.

8MiHi and uggboy like this.