VISA procedures for Canadians at Chinese consulates in Canada.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by londoncalling, Mar 29, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    if you are on at least your 2nd Chinese visa they used to give you a multiple entry one good for one year. Now, with Canadian passports being good for 10 years you can also get a ten year Chinese multiple entry visa. You cannot get it however, if it goes beyond your passport expiry date but they will most likely give you one until about 6 months prior to its expiry.

The service levels in Toronto are now pretty decent and you can make an appointment to apply for your visa in person. I was in and out in about 30 minute the other day.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    The Lev, Sammich, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know.
    Thanks.

uggboy and YULtide like this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's very helpful information.

Thanks.

londoncalling and uggboy like this.
  4. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome, thanks!

Did you apply under the Tourist visa category?

londoncalling, YULtide and ACMM like this.
  5. londoncalling

Status Points:
    No I have had multiple entry visas for the last five years and get an invite from our local Chinese partner whenever I need to renew the business Visa

Sammich likes this.
  6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know they extended this to Americans a month or two ago, wondered if we were included too. That's good to know, makes it more worthwhile taking up those MR fares to PVG and PEK, among other cities that are now opening up to nonstop flights from the west coast.

Yes, the new Toronto visa office -- well maybe it's two years old now -- certainly beats the old procedure of going to the consulate and fighting the hordes in multiple lines and the general confusion that brought about. (As bad as the old Polish consulate where nothing was in English!)

Sammich likes this.
  7. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah gotcha. I use to be on a multi visit family visit visa. Expired last year. Heading into China this year for a few business meetings now instead so I'm not sure whether to do business or tourist. The latter one not requiring a letter which makes it less painful

8. londoncalling

Status Points:
    If you are NOT going regularly like myself, 4/5 times a year, then the tourist visa should work. I am not sure if you can get a multiple entry tourist visa however.

YULtide and Sammich like this.
  9. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd heard a few months ago that China was thinking of implementing this - good to hear it is "done".

I had thought the consulate wasn't handling visa requests any more and you had to through special visa issuing places (I went to one in a lawyer;s office the last couple of times). Do these guys also issue the 10-year visas?

Question: will they only issue the 10-year visa once they've also issues the one-off visa in your new passport or if you show them visas from an old passport will they give you the 10-year the first time you apply with the new passport?

10. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're on a quick MR, I don't think you need a visa for 72 hours as long as you stay in the metropolitan area - since you are in "visa free transit".
    http://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-72hour/

11. londoncalling

Status Points:
    The office is an outsourced company at 393 University Ave. and you can make the appointment on line.
    If you have had a previous visa you can now get the ten year ones if it matches your passport expiry date. You do need to show them the previous visa(s) from your old passport. I am not sure if they will give a nine year one if that is all you have left on ten year PP as an example. My PP expires next September so I was only given a one year multiple entry. Don't forget the invitation letter.

ACMM likes this.
  12. londoncalling

Status Points:
    That is correct but you must stay in the area and cannot leave from a different airport than the one you arrive at.

13. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Curious because I was under the impression one had to be departing to a different destination outside China than one had arrived from. Isn't that what the first point from your link says?

"The confirmed seat onward ticket and valid visa to a third country or region (if required) are needed for entry."

ACMM likes this.
  14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you are correct.

15. londoncalling

Status Points:
    That is correct but if you arrive in PVG you cannot leave from PEK or nay there airport. I am told they are not enforcing the 3rd Country rule because the 72 hour visa is designed for people going to conventions and other group settings. However, I would double check on that.
    Here are the rules:http://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-72hour/

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  16. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that was a clearly stated given already. Not only that, you can't leave from a different airport in the same city (as PVG/SHA) which was clearly stated. As for loosing the 3rd country part, hadn't heard about that and I know airline staff at many places are still getting used to the 72-hour transit visa rule itself. (I know they're not ultra strict in that you can always give them a "dummy" booking for a third city upon entry and they won't check with the airline to see if it's a valid reservation. Book, printout and cancel an intra-Asia award and you can get the transit visa even if your valid return ticket shows the same country being the true destination...not that I've ever done that!)

17. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually PVG/SHA is the one exception to the "same airport" rule.

18. 2by4

2by4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is more than a little foolish to try and game the system when dealing with ANY countries immigration authorities.

YULtide likes this.
  19. londoncalling

Status Points:
    I agree but china is trying to woo more business visitors. I would not fool with a Chinese visa but the 72 hour rule is somewhat softly handled. I know someone who came in and left to the same departure point and was not asked to show his onward ticket, which he had but was not intending to use. It can be tricky having two BP's when one goes through PP control.