Visa prepaid with no-fee Int'l ATM access?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by jaw_24, May 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

When traveling overseas, I typically bring my 2 prepaid AMEX and bluebird card solely to withdraw foreign currency with no transaction or bank-charged ATM fees. However, I have had issues, specifically in China, with AMEX card acceptance. My Wells Fargo Visa worked fine in these cases, however WF charges a fee, and I hate bringing or using my bank debit card.

So, is there a Visa (or MC) equivalent prepaid that allows for 1) ATM withdrawals with no fee (internationally), and 2) no currency conversion or int'l x-action fee?

I think I remember reading that the new PIN laws on Visa/MC cards exclude foreign ATMs, so that wouldn't help here.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Open up a Schwab Checking? There is no minimums so it could be like a prepaid.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Whenever I go to China or any part of Asia, I just bring cash $50/$100 to change at the money changers and my HSBC card. It works for me since there are tons of HSBCs around and there are no fees and pretty good forex rates. It is actually the only reason I keep my HSBC account open...for traveling.