Virgin may eye Star Alliance on back of tie up with Singapore Airlines

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by GoodBoy, Jun 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Virgin may eye Star Alliance on back of tie up with Singapore Airlines
    • UPDATED Steve Creedy, Aviation writer
    • June 07, 20119:48AM
    [​IMG]
    Virgin livery: The carrier now has a crack at joining the Star Alliance. Picture by Damian Shaw Source:The Australian
    QANTAS has suffered another blow after Singapore Airlines and Virgin Australia announced they were forming a long-term alliance today.
    The proposed alliance will allow the airlines to codeshare on each other’s international and domestic flights and give them the ability to “earn and burn” points with each other’s frequent-flyer schemes.

Chimpy likes this.
  2. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    With VA eyeing to join an alliance and this, well.. If VA joins Star, this would give significant boost to Star's Australia (Via SQ) and British + TATL routes.

Nicole Blaess-Smith and Chimpy like this.
  3. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a chance imho whilst they have the tieups with Delta (skyteam) and Ethiad (no alliance), even though Air New Zealand (star) owns 15% and Virgin Group (no alliance) owns 25% -- I think they are quite happy trying to play both alliances and non-aligned selectively against Qantas.

What will be interesting will be if they start putting 777s on the SYD/MEL-SIN route.

4. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It seems we all hope it but don't expect it. You do raise good points. Now they are joining SQ and with the recent alliance with NZ it would indicate they are heading that direction but who knows.

Whatever the case may be, I don't see DJ joining any alliances in the near future but I hope for it.

Chimpy likes this.