Virgin Galactic spacehip crashes during test flight

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Oct 31, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Virgin Galactic spacehip crashes during test flight

danielwood and Newscience like this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not good news. I wonder if the mileage redemption rate is going to decrease.

I know, too soon. :oops:

danielwood likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    UPDATE:

A suborbital passenger spaceship being developed by Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic crashed during a test flight on Friday at the Mojave Air and Space Port in California.

Californian authorities say one pilot has been killed and the other has suffered "major injury" in the crash.

More than 800 people have paid or put down deposits to fly aboard the spaceship, which is carried to an altitude of about 45,000 feet and released.

The spaceship then fires its rocket motor to catapult it to about 62 miles (100 km) high, giving passengers a view of the planet set against the blackness of space and a few minutes of weightlessness.

http://www.independent.ie/world-new...ship-crashes-during-test-flight-30708599.html

danielwood likes this.
  4. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is horrible. The family of the poor pilot has my sympathies. Besides the loss of the pilot I expect this to greatly hurt the private businesses drive for space flight outside of the government.