Virgin Blue Going Up Market

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Asia/Australia' started by adl73x, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    To quote (Sir) Terry Pratchett, "It was the only direction available".

As a newly matched Velocity Gold, I'm very much looking forward to where DJ are going. I love The Lounge over and above the domestic competition. The new alliances with NZ and EY are encouraging.

So where would you like to see the DJ (and Pacific Blue and V Australia) on board product go?

2. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am also looking forward to their improvements. As QF becomes closer to a LCC each year I am finding that I fly DJ more often. I also agree with adl73x about The Lounge, I am a Qantas club life member and most of the time I will not even bother going in.

3. AndrewW

AndrewW Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was very impressed with the Lounge in MEL on the recent any time access wake. Not so sure that the billiard table would be well received at the end of a busy day, the sound of clacking balls was quite loud during our game! The only real complaint I had with the lounge was that there didn't appear to be any spirits on offer, only wine, beer and soft drinks. But perhaps they were hidden away out of sight.

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully Virgin Blue will join Star Alliance soon.

5. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can we start betting on it? What are the odds?
    How about getting dedicated forum of Velocity Rewards/Virgin Blue?

6. haydensydney
    Original Member

haydensydney Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a staunch DJ supporter (and harshest critic) I am supportive of any upmarket move they make.

Premium economy was a complete disaster - having a full blown business class will challenge QF's dominance in the premium sector on domestic routes. I just want them to hurry up and make the announcement!!

adl73x likes this.
  7. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Soon? I think it is a while away but totally makes sense. I cannot wait for it to happen and finally Qantas will get a good run for their money.

vbroucek likes this.
  8. I think they could polish the service-style and attitude of their FAs a little bit more. They are much better than the super-casual days of 3-4 years ago, but some more polish could go a long way.

Agreed, as serious business class product (and possibly ditching PE) would be a good move IMHO.

9. Also, an extra inch or two of seat pitch in economy would go a long way. I recently shared a blocked middle with a COS who could not open her tray table properly as it hit her tummy.

10. I don't as I'm owe, vb gold and *A Gold E, lol, they need to aline with someone else ;)

Sent sitting in 5C DJ303

11. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interlining with *A and being included in *A FFPs and fares will be of more benefit to me personally than DJ remaining outside all the alliances.

serfty likes this.
  12. Even if DJ kitted every AC in the AU fleet with a J cabin, it will still be a disaster. I refuse to fly any further than MEL/BNE with DJ, 737 syndrome call it, so until there's a fleet of wide body AC supporting the DJ colours, trans AU flights in the business market will still fall into the laps of QF.

On top of that, DJ staff are not business traveller orientated in any sense. They should frankly stick to their roots, they were good at it

13. willyroo
    Original Member

willyroo Active Member

Status Points:
    DJ still has some work to do to match status and seat outcomes. As a Gold it still is a complete lottery unless you select your seat 23:59 out. It's not fun arriving at the airport, not having had time to checkin, to find yourself in a middle seat.

The lounges are better than QF's, however some tiredeness starting to creep into BNE, especially the small white rooms.

14. serfty
    Original Member

serfty Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will be very interesting to see what happens.

In November I was comped DJ Gold for 26 months so there's no issue with re-qualifying this year. As a BIS AirNZ Gold Elite (BIS, ex Brevet) I am looking very closely at it. I already have the bookings to sew up, until next year, QF WP (Nov 2012) and Gold Elite (July).

Any cross earning between DJ and NZ will Fascinate me. ;)

15. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait till the 23rd for part one. Then more to follow while it's tweaked. It's amazing what RT from DJ says when he has a crowd.

16. ohianjo
    Original Member

ohianjo Silver Member

Status Points:
    DJ is great, but as mentioned E+ is nothing special, especially for the prices charged.
    Staff at the MEL lounge are great, and once they know you, can be really very flexible with moving flights etc.
    For my own sake I hope they join *A, because I am sick of all of my HBA-MEL legs going to waste (not to mention the loss of baggage allowance)

vbroucek likes this.
  17. anat0l
    Original Member

anat0l Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to float the idea that there should be a separate forum for Virgin Australia Velocity program in the Airline Programs forum.

Even without the changes which are certainly in the pipeline, I think the interest in the program will undoubtedly juggernaut and thus the resulting new threads and discussions.

In short, I think it's only fair.

Back on topic, I really hope DJ join *A. Somehow I think I might be clinging to false hope.... DJ might just adopt a multi-partner model akin to AS.

cogentMD and vbroucek like this.
  18. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The domestic business market (C flyers) potential is huge in my opinion but neither DJ or QF have really had a good go at actually offering anything worth paying for. E+ isn't anything special as pointed out by OP and Qantas don't have anything special either but promise bigger and better things but honestly they like DJ need better planes for domestic use.

DJ might have finally caught up with it all and realised the lounges have something to do with it but what they offer in E+ needs a bit boot to really something the average C flyer would pay for.

19. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have raised this before on few places. So, let's lobby for it...

ariadne likes this.
  20. Ewing
    Original Member

Ewing Active Member

Status Points:
    My "on the ground" experience with Virgin Blue is limited as I've only flown out of CBR since getting my status match. I am however directing more travel their way, and I like their lounge in CBR.

I would like to echo the sentiment, and that is that I would like to see a decent premium product - whether that's titled business class or something else.

All my DJ flights have been in the front row of Y and I've had a pretty good look at the "Y+" product and quite frankly, it's rubbish. On the E170 where 4A/4C are Y+ and 4D/4F are Y I couldn't help but look across the aisle at the person in 4C and think to myself "that's not worth triple the amount". Given that on the routes I most often fly, QF J is ~$50 more than DJ Y+ - I'll take QF J thanks.

21. daedalus
    Original Member

daedalus Silver Member

Status Points:
    With the upcoming changes to both Virgin Blue (the group) and the Velocity program, there is likely to be some discussion on the good and bad of the changes. I do hope that any 'bad' is limited.

cockpitvisit likes this.
  22. daedalus
    Original Member

daedalus Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where the option exists - but sometimes my only alternative is Jetstar. Paying JetFlex prices for points is a bit of a waste of money, so I go with DJ in these circumstances.

cockpitvisit likes this.
  23. ariadne
    Original Member

ariadne Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree that a Velocity specific forum is something that should be lobbied for!

straitman likes this.
  24. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that there should/needs to be a dedicated DJ forum.