Virgin Australia offers 'status match' for Qantas Frequent Flyers

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Asia/Australia' started by sobore, Aug 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-australia-offers-status-match-for-qantas-frequent-flyers

Virgin Australia is wooing Qantas' motherlode of business travellers and frequent flyers with a rare 'status match' deal for the challenger's competing Velocity Rewards program.
    If you hold silver, gold or platinum status with the Qantas Frequent Flyer program -- as well as other competing airlines -- Virgin Australia will provide you with one year of equivalent status under its Velocity Rewards scheme.

The offer is free but runs for a limited time. While Virgin hasn't put an end date on the promotion the offer is 'capped', suggesting it has a maximum number of free memberships available. (In the past, promotions like this have quickly been closed quickly due to strong demand.)
    Frequent flyer schemes are a cornerstone of attracting business travellers due to perks such as lounge access, increased luggage allowances, upgrades and even increased point earning based on the member's 'status' level.

The promotion coincides with the launch of Virgin Australia's new Velocity Platinum tier, which lines up against Qantas Frequent Flyer Platinum (which Qantas intends to one-up through its forthcoming Platinum One level).

The status match deal is also open to airlines beyond Qantas, with Virgin Australia promising to "match the status of tiered members of any competitor frequent flyer program, providing them with the equivalent Velocity status for 12 months."
    There's a small footnote on the announcement, specifying that members of Virgin's airline partners (Air New Zealand, Delta, Etihad, Singapore Airlines & Virgin Atlantic) will not get a direct status match with Virgin Australia, as they would already have access to equivalent Velocity status through alliance agreements.

You can apply for your status match at Virgin's website. You'll need your most recent frequent flyer monthly statement or a scanned copy of your current frequent flyer card, with either one clearly showing date of validity and your current status level.

MissBurrill likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this restricted to Australian residents?

rwoman and sobore like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think so:

4. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    There has been fantastic demand for this very public matching offer, so anyone who can infer Australian residence considering the offer should act now!

5. edison
    Original Member

edison Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thrilled this morning to be matched to DJ/VA Plat from AF Plat (which I got from NZ GE to begin with).

VA Plat gives Hilton Diamond, which is more than I get from Amex Plat which only gives one year of Hilton Gold.

kraken likes this.
  7. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've just submitted a match from UA ... we'll see how it goes.

8. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    My match was successful :)

sobore and adl73x like this.
  9. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any idea how long it takes for Hilton to bump people up to Diamond as part of this? Submitted that through Velocity on the 11th, US time. Nothing yet, hoping its in place before stays next week.

10. kraken

kraken Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking forward to my HH Diamond benefit :)

11. kraken

kraken Silver Member

Status Points:
    My pack arrived 3 weeks after requesting a status match. I was matched to Gold but my wife was Plat!??&@