Virgin Australia first mileage run help

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Asia/Australia' started by Ben170292, Mar 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ben170292

Ben170292 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    I am wanting to do my first mileage run with Virgin Australia. I'm not exactly sure how to find the best deals and mileage and hoping someone could help. Also do you earn the same amount of points if you fly something like MEL-AKL with NZ instead of VA?

Thanks for any help offered, Ben

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that all earning in the Velocity FF program is based on dollars spent for domestic travel so no real value in getting a cheap ticket, at least from an earning perspective. And the cheapest coach seats on international flights only earn a half point per mile flown. Again, not a great MR opportunity. http://www.velocityrewards.com.au/content/Earn/Airlines/PointsEarn/index.htm#virginaustralia

Flying on Air NZ on trans-tasman flights on the cheapest fares will earn only .25 points/mile so that's a worse deal. http://www.velocityrewards.com.au/content/Earn/Airlines/PointsEarn/index.htm#airnewzealand

3. Ben170292

Ben170292 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the quick reply, I didn't know any of that. Can it be worthwhile doing a QF mr? My main reason is I just want to go on a day trip and thought maybe I could turn it into a mr

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can earn points on just about any trip, so in that sense anything can be a mileage run. The real question is whether it is worth going flying just to accrue the points or if they are an ancillary benefit of taking the trip. Outside the USA most programs are stingy on the cheapest fare. So it is harder to build things up that way. Not impossible, but definitely harder.

5. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe check out australianfrequentflyer.com.au for what many locals have found to be good runs.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. Ben170292

Ben170292 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again for the replies, I'll head over to that site and check it out.

-Ben