Virgin Australia ends Malaysia Airlines relationship

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Asia/Australia' started by wombat18, Jun 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being discussed over here:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...es-relationship-for-singapore-airlines.13445/

"Virgin Australia will seek to end its relationship with Malaysia Airlines (MAS) as it pursues a partnership with aviation powerhouse Singapore Airlines (SIA).

The application also confirmed Virgin was looking to wind up its reciprocal frequent flyer and interline arrangements with the Kuala Lumpur-based MAS.

MAS announced earlier this month it would join the oneworld airline alliance and seek closer cooperation with national flag carrier Qantas Airways.

"Therefore there is no prospect of a broader relationship with Malaysia Airlines," the application said.

"As a result of both the proposed alliance and Malaysia Airlines' decision to join oneworld, both parties will discuss termination of their existing relationship."

2. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always thought that it would be unlikely for any of the Virgin carriers to join OW because it contains BA. If NZ owns part, that would be an argument for *A as would cooperation with SQ, although SQ seems aloof from *A despite its nominal membership (for instance, consider the separate *A lounges in SIN and the greatly reduced C/J and IFC that SQ makes available to *A partners, as well as the SQ-only RTW fares it offers). Of course, I'm always hoping that good airlines will join SkyTeam.

4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    SQ ownership has not swayed Virgin Atlantic to join *, but I agree that NZ is a bit more of a willing partner and may want VA to link up with the alliance. Another complication in the matter may be the VA-DL TP alliance, which just cleared DOT last month.

5. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I keep dreaming of VA/DJ and VS joining SkyTeam. Probably a pipe dream, but please let me have it a bit longer.

6. edison
    Original Member

edison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember, DJ/VA actually also code share with DL for North America Routes. There is always a possibility of them joining ST. Admittedly they are more likely joining *A with partner of SQ/NZ.

7. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not just a codeshare, they've just gotten their TPAC joint venture approved. I think if they join an alliance in the next couple of years, it will be SkyTeam, but it will probably be longer than that before anything actually shakes out.

8. edison
    Original Member

edison Silver Member

Status Points:
    I still think if they are going to join an alliance, it would be *A, only because VA want to associate with top airlines within the region (it Asia Pac). For *A, it would be NZ, SQ, TG, OZ, NH. For ST, it would be GA, VN, CZ, KE ...... I know which alliance I prefer.

But that is also why I don't think they will join an alliance soon, as the TPAC joint venture could run for many years. They will be like Alaska Airlines, do partnership with everyone.

9. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, we probably know that Alaska isn't going to be joining the Virgin alliance, given the competitiveness between them on the west coast of the U.S., right?