Virgin Atlantic with CO Miles

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by aussieflyer, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was trying to use CO miles to fly on Virgin Atlantic Upper Class.

Checking on both CO.com and Virgins website, I noticed that for the day I was looking there were 3 flights available (low) in Upper Class on Virgins website, while only 2 of them were available on CO.com. The third flight showed availability in coach.

I called (hung up, called again, hung up...) and confirmed that only those 2 of 3 were available to CO.

Obviously when asked, the reply is, "we have different availability then Virgin".
    If not almost every agent from every airline said that about their partners, I may believe it.

Is it true about Virgin availability using CO miles?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it is true.

Historically CO has had seats if there were more than 2 available on Virgin. If it is fewer then CO wouldn't have them.

3. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should also be aware, if you're not already, about Virgin's draconian carry-on policy, which is, I think as it's been a while since I last flew them, only 13 pounds. Okay, this was before there was a Kindle, so books added to the weight of a carry-on back then. But it was strictly enforced and a real pain to deal with at the check-in desk to comply with.

4. dts
    Original Member

dts Silver Member

Status Points:
    While we're on the subject, any predictions on whether this agreement with Virgin will carry over to the new combined carrier? While it made sense for CO, with UA flights to LHR from SFO, LAX, ORD and IAD I'm afraid we might lose VS in the not-so-distant future.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    More of an issue in Y than in UC in my experience. Which is to say I've not had a problem with my much heavier than 8 Kg backpack in UC.

6. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Admittedly, my last experience with UC on Virgin was a while ago. Glad they've lightened up on that for those in fancy-class.

7. I suspect this is probably likely :-/. Even if it does remain, non-*A partners for UA do not earn EQM, and since MP is the surviving program ...

8. dts
    Original Member

dts Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was more interested in redemption opportunities than mileage accrual :)

9. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I decided to use some CO miles for September trip, and was surprised to have no problems booking an upper class return ---and by how many dates the seats seemed to be available. Was first offered a return in UAL C---but I fly that when I'm earning miles and upgrading. Who would take that, when they could fly UC??

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Someone who wants to eat an edible meal in-flight?

11. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Considering I spent 48 hours ill with stomach issues after my last LHR-IAD flight, I can't believe it'll be any worse. (at least I'm hoping it won't be....)

12. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems to be a bit of an issue with redeeming CO miles on VS, LHR-SYD. Can see availability online and it let's me go through all the way to putting in the CC info. But then it comes up with an error message.

I've had a similar issue with CO showing flights that weren't actually available but when checking Virgin site directly there are 3 seats available...

Anyone had a similar issue?