Virgin Atlantic moving to Terminal G @ SFO?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to the SFO airport map in both Hemispheres magazine and on United.com (http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1121,00.html) it shows that Virgin Atlantic is flying out of Terminal G at SFO.

All the G Terminal tenants are typically either Star Alliance or affiliated with United MP.

Does this mean that there might be a tie up with Virgin Atlantic at some point in the future? Particularly since Continental has a relationship with Virgin Atlantic already?

2. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The map in Hemispheres references only the airlines which are currently affiliated in some way with United or Continental. CO currently codeshares with Virgin on Virgin's flights to/from LHR. Virgin is therefore mentioned as an airline operating from the International Terminal. The map does not specify whether it's the A concourse or the G concourse - it is, of course, the A concourse from which Virgin operates.

3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can only dream that VS would join *A.

It would be nice indeed, but I doubt it will happen.

4. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1. Much discussed elsewhere but my take, FWIW, is that Branson wants big bucks and is not yet a forced seller. AF/KLM are in the running, as is Etihad. LH is rumored to be interested but their track record is that they pick up airlines cheaply (BMI, Swiss etc. when they are in weakened positions). So I can't see LH coming up with the $$ that Branson wants, although I think it would be an excellent fit for LH.

5. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am one of those who is not particularly enamored of VA, mainly due to their draconian carry-on policies, which are sporadically enforced even in business class. So absent change, I'd be perfectly happy to leave VA in the A gates, far away from *A!

Xyzzy likes this.
  6. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Outside of the LHR Clubhouse and LHR check-in, the UC experience was bleh. I was un-impressed with the in-flight service.

EWR764 likes this.
  7. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The bed is quite comfortable though. Usually I show up early, hang out in the lounge, grab dinner, and lights out as soon as I'm on board. It's almost like the anti-BF.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. And even with the Clubhouse I'd generally rather actually be at my destination than in an airport lounge. The Clubhouse is certainly the highlight of the experience, but that doesn't make it something I'd go out of my way to find.

9. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    One other nice thing about Virgin is their generous award availability....

10. yah the virgin clubhouse it amazing..

11. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure -- but after you see that the shine wears off rather fast when y:(u see the fuel surcharges.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not an issue when paying with CO points. :-:

And I'm not sure that it is a problem with NH points either, though even if it is the 40K points savings from NYC isn't so bad.

Golfingboy likes this.
  13. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    True -- last time I redeemed for VS it was using VS p:(ints collected earned via car/hotel programs.

14. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not an issue with NH miles. 68K East Coast-LHR in VS UC isn't a bad redemption though.

15. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotta love the fact that the "operating carrier" rules, fees wise, does not apply for award bookings :-: