Virgin America's First Class Secret, Unveiled!

Discussion in 'Virgin America | Elevate' started by sobore, May 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.jaunted.com/story/2011/5...irgin+America's+First+Class+Secret,+Unveiled!

Doesn't it totally suck when you board your flight and have to walk through the comfy First Class cabin before reaching your seat way back in economy? Oftentimes, the First Class passengers are already half-way done with their pre-flight cocktails and a crossword puzzle, while you're left arguing for overheard space five rows behind yours. How much would you pay to be able to swish right back into First Class and take a seat?How about $270...or even just $35?
    Frequent flyers on Virgin Americaknow a trick to securing those prime First Class seats for half-off what you'd pay for them regularly. Luckily you don't have to remember such secrets, because Virgin America puts it all out there anyway—as a buy-onboard option right on the seatback TV in front of you.
    It's a relatively new extra, and it's surprisingly simple. If your flight has an available seat up front—one of those wide, white leather seats with massage functions and the perks of free food and entertainment—then a crew member will verify it's open you can grab it with a swipe of your credit card on the TV. Move on up at any time during the flight, although there's no discounts as the flying time ticks on.
    Now, for the pricing...

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting concept.

3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate the fact that they don't point out that you can buy F seats for these prices six hours BEFORE you get on the plane. More F for me. :D

nermaljcat and Spring101 like this.
  4. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    $35 6 hours ahead? wow. look forward to doing this.

5. nermaljcat
    Original Member

nermaljcat Active Member

Status Points:
    For extra info on the T-6 and T-24 standby upgrades, checkout the great FAQ's page(s) that Aviators99 has put together. http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/virgin-america-frequently-asked-questions-part-2.340/

For those as lazy as I, here are the relevant entries:

Q: Can you get a standby upgrade to Main Cabin Select?

A: Yes. If there are seats available 24 hours or less before departure, you can upgrade at check-in (including OLCI) or prior to check-in. The charge for upgrading depends on the flight distance: 849 miles or less is $35, 850-1499 miles is $55, and 1500 miles or more is $110.

Q: Can you get a standby upgrade from Main Cabin Select to First Class?

A: Yes. If there are seats available 24 hours or less before departure, you can upgrade at check-in (including OLCI) or prior to check-in. The charge for upgrading depends on the flight distance: 849 miles or less is $35, 850-1499 miles is $55, and 1500 miles or more is $160. NOTE: Oftentimes, the cost of MCS plus the upgrade fee is as much as a discounted F ticket was, and almost always more than upgrading Main Cabin to F! Also note that you do not get any priority upgrade treatment when you are going from MCS to F over when you are going from MC to F. It is strickly first come, first served!

sobore likes this.
  6. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    odd. what about MC > MCS?

7. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, why not? Seems like a win-win here. If someone wants to buy up, they get a better seat, and Virgin get some extra revenue that they weren't expecting. To be honest, I have never been on a VX flight with an empty first class seat. I'm sure it happens often enough, but I've never seen it.

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it's a good idea. Though with only 8 F seats I've never seen an empty one, either. Personally I'd like it if they would offer the upgrade at the gate instead of waiting until you're settled in the plane. But they have other stuff to do.

OT, I really don't like flying VX. The mood lighting and music annoy me. I am not hip, nor do I want to try to be hip. But the cheap flights can be nice now and then when your only options from SEA to LAX are a stop in SFO or a regional jet for three hours.

9. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've actually done the MCS to FC upgrade several times. I'd purchased MCS at a low price (usually an Instant Upgrade to MCS price) then signed on 6 hours in advance and gotten the upgrade. When I first started doing it, there were often seats available; now I really have to log in exactly 6 hours in advance to stake my claim. I once lost a seat in the seconds between entering the credit card number and it verifying! And, yes, now and again there's an empty seat in FC, but it's more and more unusual to see it.

After a long day of work, a transcon in Virgin's First is a very, very pleasant way to go home to California. I just wish the Elevate program matched the quality of the flight!