Virgin America my favorite US airline!

Discussion in 'Virgin America | Elevate' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I started flying more regularly I fell in love with JetBlue... cheaper fares, leather seats, TV's, etc.
    I compared all my future flights to B6 as the standard... until VX came along.

Now Virgin America is by far my favorite airline... I fly economy and it makes flying a pleasure. The Barclay Visacard is also a great way to earn freebie flights, I don't use my card regularly as I'm focused earning miles on AA/UA using their respective cards towards international travel... I gave a card each to my parents so their everyday spending gives me miles for a future domestic trip. And I'm happy it doesn't cost extra to allow for this.

Go VX!

nermaljcat likes this.
  2. Quiet Lion
    Original Member

Quiet Lion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Coach on VX is better than F on most airlines. But the frequent-flyer program needs a real elite level that waives change fees and allows some kind of upgrade privilege.

QL

3. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I were to separate miles and elite status from flying, then yes VX would be my favorite airline as well. You just can't beat the ability to order food and drink from the seat back tv! Their entire domestic product is miles ahead of the competition. VX is my fallback airline when I can't get decent ticket on UA, CO or (eekk) US airways.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised to hear you say that you like VX more than B6. What's the tipping point for you? Less pitch?

I've only done one flight with them - LAX-JFK in F - and it was pretty nice, but the Y experience doesn't look like much fun at all. Being able to order snacks from the seat instead of getting up, flirting with the FAs in the galley and getting the snacks comp'd isn't particularly attractive, for example.

5. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know I haven't really noticed the 2 inch seat pitch difference, and I'm fat.

I recently burned off a bunch of VX miles (and some B6 points on the same trip) to do 3 transcons in 2 days, and VX was a more pleasant experience. I like bigger TV's, Google Maps feature, ordering drinks via TV is a plus since I always choose a window seat and never get up during my flights (if I can help it) so flirting with FA's doesn't apply... in fact I have yet to have any FA respond positively to me being courteous... etc. I do like the mood lighting, the general newer feel of the cabin... the hipness of the whole check-in process, the free Visa card... etc.

I can't say that I hate JetBlue now, but they have slipped below Virgin America in my book, that's all.

6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't agree on the first point. A coach seat is still a coach seat. As for the FFP, given the aircraft configuration and what appears to be the business model (where they appear to be selling a fair % of F/MCS seats ,and then getting cash revenue for upgrades w/in the upgrade period), elite benefits would/should be limited to:
    (1) priority check-in
    (2) baggage fee waivers
    (3) priority boarding
    (4) % earning bonus

7. aviators99
    Original Member

aviators99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean? It's much better to have the FAs come to *you* for your flirting pleasure! ;-)
    Anyway, B6 clearly has better Y seats. There's no question about it. But I prefer VX because of the F cabin and WiFi. EML seats were a good start for B6. I hope they take it to the next level. Right now, they don't have to. But if VX really gets up to 130 planes like they have on order, they'll start to really be competition. Then maybe B6 will get some real premium seats, and the world will be a better place!

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like going to the galley for the flirting. For one thing, getting up and walking around on a transcon is a good idea. And, yes, F is great, but more often than not I'm not buying that. I'm also not buying E+, EML, ELR or anything else.

9. Quiet Lion
    Original Member

Quiet Lion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since I'm average sized, I don't require the extra room of an F seat although it's certainly nice. But WiFi, IFE, and touch-screen ordering make VX coach better than other airlines (without WiFi anyway) F for me.

I'm not sure why you think VX can't offer waiver of change fees to elites, or some kind of upgrade benefit (certainly extended window to purchase and perhaps complimentary standby upgrades to MCS and F). Anyway, those are the things that make a difference to me.

QL

10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they can offer the fee waivers but an upgrade program would be a time consuming disaster promising false hopes of a better day and leading to tearful disappointment. There are only 8 F seats. There are only 12 MCS seats. It isn't that I wouldn't like the opportunity. I just don't think that it is practical. Now, the concept of an earlier purchase window is logistically realistic, and doesn't impact revenue, nor create a gate circus.

VX has the realistic possibility of being elite heavy as soon as they might institute such a program. I don't think that cabin configuration is changing anytime soon. My earlier list wasn't thought out well enough, but I think once you put a gate upgrade circus into the formula, it won't be pretty.

11. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am out of SFO and UA upgrade are tough to come by on transcons, so for me it is VX all the time, except to PDX which is the only place I go to that VX doesn't cover. IMO there is no better domestic coach, the IFE, Internet, and power at every seat make the difference for me, although B6 has better legroom.

I agree an elite program would be great, perhaps even if it only had a longer window for paid upgrades in addition to expedited security and early boarding. Also would be great if the mileage program was actually worth something. :)

12. live2travel
    Original Member

live2travel Active Member

Status Points:
    I think VX has one of, if not the nicest coach cabins and I do enjoy the quality/price of the onboard food selection , but they need to drop the baggage fees.

VX is only an option for me on west coast trips. I'm in the NYC area and B6 is my preffered carrier, but if they compete on the same route and prices where the same (taking into account VX's baggage fee) I might have to choose VX. Don't hate me B6!

13. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are a good kid! :)

14. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    The way I see it... if you're flying more than 50,000 miles per year, it makes sense to pick a carrier like American, United, or whatever makes sense given your location. If you're flying less than that, I think it's best to pick flights based on what times / services work best for you. And if you live in SFO or another place that has great VX service, I agree that it's really the best flying experience, especially for the infrequent flyer. I mostly fly United, but I get a flight or two a year on VX, and it is always a refreshing experience! Some day I'll have enough miles for two first class tix to Cancun - that will be lovely :).