View From The Wing - Christopher Elliott Gets It Right — Legislating Federal Tarmac Delay...

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, May 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Goodness knows I give Christopher Elliott a hard time about his columns when I think they’re wrong. I gave him a piece of my mind just this past weekend. But he’s got a pretty sensible column in today’s Washington Post, where he explains why it’s a bad idea to write tarmac...
    ©View From The Wing, a BoardingArea Blog

Continue reading...
  2. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

The tarmac delay rules do seem a little counter productive. I was flying out of LGA last month and was delayed by thunderstorms (kudos to the gate agent who calmly dealt with a lot of irate passengers). We finally boarded 2 hours late and the captain turned on channel 9 and we were ~20th in line. But then over the next 15-20 minutes half of the planes ahead of us had to turn back to the gate because of the 3 hour rule. We were suddenly next in line for take-off, but I felt really bad for those people who were so close to taking off but then had to turn back.

Seems like there should be an on-board vote to temporarily waive the 3-hour rule if you're close to take-off.