View From The Wing - Are Premium Security Lines Unfair to the Masses?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Mar 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    David Post thinks so (rather dramatically). I noticed, as I was waiting in line at the security checkpoint at the San Francisco airport waiting to board a flight back east, that there was a “Priority Line” for “uniformed crewmembers” and “First and Business Class customers.” Excuse me,...
    ©View From The Wing, a BoardingArea Blog

Continue reading...

2. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really, really don't think these points make sense.

I have wondered if airlines somehow compensated the TSA for these perks. I just don't see how they are justified.

If I go to Safeway more than you, I should spend the same amount of time in line as you, so less per visit? That just makes no sense.

Granted, when I'm entitled to them, I use them. But, yes, this practice is odd considering how our government is supposed to work.

3. trooper
    Original Member

trooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I understand it the TSA only controls the screening area... the lines leadng up to it are in airport space effectively leased by the airlines.. thus it is entirely appropriate for the airlines to decide who gets a shorter line - until the TSA controlled area is reached.. then everyone takes their turn....

LAX T2 is a good example... the line starts downstairs from the screening area.. and there IS a priority lane there.. once through and up the stairs however everyones in the same line...