View From The Wing - 83,000 American Airlines Miles for $60?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Aug 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    The AAdvantage shopping mall currently shows 83,871 American Airlines miles for buying a $59.99 MOTOROKR S305 Bluetooth Stereo Headphones from the Verizon Wireless store. It’s the fourth item in this list. I think the offer is supposed to be 2 miles per dollar spent, and I don’t have an...
    ©View From The Wing, a BoardingArea Blog

Continue reading...

Scottrick likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I seriously doubt that this is worth the trouble, since it is almost guaranteed that it won't be honored.

Using the AA toolbar it shows that the merchant is not actually participating, and when you click on the item details it shows you'll earn approximately 13 miles -- both of which are bad deals. :)

It would be a hard charge to dispute if you get the item but no miles, and an uphill battle with the shopping mall and the merchant -- it'd make EasyCGI seem like a piece of cake :) and with a $35 restocking fee you'll basically end up paying money for nothing, since they're not even nice headphones to begin with :)

3. Henry
    Original Member

Henry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amex works well for disputes

Scottrick likes this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    $6 is worth it for 83K miles. Even though I don't have any status and rarely fly AA, this might end up being worth it.

5. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    what about ordering and confirming with AA shopping within the next day or two. If they refuse to award points, then you can always refuse delivery.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah yeah, I saw the new link to the Touchstone for $5. Even more doubtful that it will get honored, but I ordered one of those just for the hell of it.

I figured I can always throw it out and not cry over $5 -- better than $60 headphones -- but if it does post then it should be interesting. :)

I wonder how many people are out there ordering 20 of these though.

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The AA shopping portal is not shy about taking back miles, and they've done it to me in the past. I tried double-dipping with 1-800-flowers before and they saw it and took back a bunch of miles for 4 individual purchases that I had made.

I have little doubt that even if these do eventually post they'll just get pulled.

8. worldtraveller2
    Original Member

worldtraveller2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a little leary that it will work, but I got in at the $60 rate and then again at the $5 rate with screenshots, so I think it is worth a shot!