Vietnam Visa Fees as of 1/31/2013

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Feb 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I am planning an upcoming trip to Vietnam and need to get a Visa as a US Citizen but the Embassy of Vietnam doesn't post those fees. They ask you to email them to get the fees which they provided in 2 business days. Figured I might save you all time if you are doing the same this year as well as provide the info for future comparison.

As per the email from Vietnam Consular:
    THE FOLLOWING FEE IS TOTAL FEE, COVERING FOR VISA STAMPING FEE, VISA APPROVAL ARRANGEMENT FEE AND PROCESSING FEE.
    A. SINGLE ENTRY, ONE-MONTH: $100.00/ EACH PERSON ​
    B. SINGLE ENTRY, THREE-MONTH: $140.00/ EACH PERSON​
    C. MULTIPLE ENTRY ONE-MONTH: $150.00/ EACH PERSON​
    D. MULTIPLE ENTRY THREE-MONTH: $180.00/ EACH PERSON​

NORMAL PROCESSING TIME: 3-4 WORKING DAYS.
    EXPEDITE SERVICE: PLUS $30 (1-2 WORKING DAYS)

* SINGLE ENTRY: IF YOU ENTER VIETNAM ONE TIME.
    MULTIPLE ENTRIES: YOU ENTER VIETNAM MORE THAN ONE TIME (YOU ENTER VIETNAM, GO TO ANOTHER NEIGHBOURING COUNTRY AND GO BACK TO VIETNAM) OR CRUISE MAKES SEVERAL STOPS IN VIETNAM.

* AT PRESENT, THE EMBASSY OF VIETNAM CAN ARRANGE AN APPROVAL FOR A VISA GOOD FOR 3 MONTHS, MULTIPLE ENTRIES AS MAXIMUM.
    A VISA GOOD FOR MORE THAN 3 MONTHS CAN ONLY BE ISSUED TO ANY APPLICANT WHO HAS OBTAINED A WORK PERMIT AND A VISA APPROVAL ALREADY.

WHAT TO SUBMIT?
    1. PASSPORT (YOU CAN SEND A COPY OF YOUR PASSPORT AND ASK FOR A LOOSE-LEAF VISA with 02 photos. For loose leaf visa, please be adviced that you will not keep it any more when going out from Vietnam; the immigration department will collect it back AND IF YOU LOOSE THE VISA, YOU NEED TO REAPPLY FOR A NEW VISA AND HAVE TO PAY AGAIN FOR FULL FEE)
    2. APPLICATION FORM (http://www.vietnamembassy-usa.org/services/visa-application-process).
    3. 1 PASSPORT-SIZE PICTURE (2X2).
    4. FEE BY MONEY ORDERS OR CASHIER CHECK, PAYABLE TO "EMBASSY OF VIETNAM." APPLICANTS APPLYING TOGETHER MAY SUBMIT THE FEE IN ONE MONEY ORDER.
    5. A SELF-ADDRESSED POSTAGE-PAID RETURN ENVELOPE IF YOU WANT TO HAVE YOUR VISA MAILED. FOR THE SAFETY OF YOUR PASSPORT(S), PLEASE USE ONLY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING MAILING SERVICES WHICH PROVIDE TRACKING NUMBERS: OR US EXPRESS MAIL OR CERTIFIED MAIL WITH FULL LABEL OR FEDEX/UPS. PLEASE DO NOT USE OTHER MAILING SERVICES. APPLICANTS APPLYING TOGETHER MAY PROVIDE ONE ENVELOPE FOR VISAS TO BE RETURNED TO THE SAME ADDRESS.

WHERE TO SUBMIT?
    CONSULAR SECTION
    EMBASSY OF VIETNAM
    1233 20TH STREET, NW
    SUITE 400
    WASHINGTON, DC 20036

NYCUA1K likes this.
  2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting!

Seems the fees are quite steep, especially for the region.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are doing the right think applying for a visa for Vietnam before leaving the US. I arrived in SGN on 12/30/12, confident that I would just zip in and get a visa on arrival (VOA), which the US State Department website said was one of the ways to get a visa for Vietnam, and then zip out. Dead wrong. My not having sufficient cash on me to pay for the fee not a factor because I would have been waiting, anyway, this turned out to be the least organized VOA service I have ever seen, with a long line of people waiting to be called to pick up their passport or to drop it to be processed for a VOA. By contrast, right after I left SGN a few days later and I went to Jakarta, Indonesia, which also has a visa requirement for US citizens, I got a VOA there in just a couple of minutes. Another place that offers VOA is IST and it was the same thing -- the rate-limiting step was how quickly I pulled out of my wallet the $20 to pay the visa fee...

Visa for Vietnam, do not leave with it.;)

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, similar experiences in IST and Bintan Island (Indonesia) as well as other countries like SAL.

Vietnam really was a freak show, but it all worked out okay.

Someone really needs to give VN the lecture about how people perceive time in the rest of the world, though. One of the surprising things for me when I worked in luxury travel was that people felt their vacation started when they were all checked into their hotel. Thus, everything we did was designed to minimize that wait (e.g., private cars for getting people to their hotel). A wait for a visa like Vietnam completely mucks up the experience of getting there.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite right, but I saved $0.99 because I just found my receipt and it'd cost me 19.00...

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Admittedly it's been about 10 years, but when we visited Bali, I made my wife stand in the long line with our passports for the visa while I went to the men's room. As I was washing my hands, a uniformed guy standing next to me mumbled something that I didn't understand, so I said "sorry?" and he repeated... that he'd get me to the front of the visa line for $20.

Back on topic -- thinking I might go to Vietnam this year or next, I find this thread useful. I googled for the website of the Vietnamese consulate in San Francisco (thinking there might be one given the large Vietnamese population in the area).

Found this www vietnamconsulate-ca org/ -- which says it's the unofficial website of the consulate (and has weird ads). It also links to www vietnamconsulatesf org/ for the allegedly official consulate, which looks even more, uh, unofficial.

hulagrrl210 and NYCUA1K like this.
  8. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My post was based on information provided by the Embassy of Vietnam out of Washington DC and this would be to have the Visa completed in advance. I had not looked into a Visa on Arrival but it does appear to be the cheaper and assuming all goes well, a more convenient option.

Thanks for this info and since it appears you have successfully used the service (i.e. visited Vietnam and returned without undue hassle) I may go with this option instead.

9. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The US State department's link for the Vietnam Embassy leads to http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/ which is where I obtained the information about the Visa process and email to obtain the fees. Comparing this against what Desamo has posted about a Visa on Arrival, it appears preferable to go with the VOA from a cost perspective.

10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in Vietnam less than a month ago, so I have pretty recent experience of it working.

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    One distinct advantage of living in NYC, if one is a frequent intl traveler, is that the UN HQ is right here, so that there is a local consulate for virtually every country that has a UN delegation/representation. This includes Vietnam (http://www.vietnamconsulate-ny.org/). For China, a country to which I travel every year, I just go to their consulate at 42nd St and 12th Ave in the morning and submit a visa application, and it is usually ready to pick up in a day or two. Same day service is also available for a fee.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So the real link for the SF consulate is http://www.vietnamconsulate-sf.org/en/

It's a little amusing that they use the old Visa credit card logo for the Visa information section of their website.... But they don't actually accept credit cards for payment of the fees. And it, too, doesn't list the actual fees and the application form advises to call for the current fees.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  13. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used myvietnamvisa.com for VOA when visiting Hanoi a couple of years ago. Yes, the process was disorganized and confusing, but not that terrible overall, didn't take too long, maybe 30-40 minutes?

Don't forget to bring cash! (US$ work.)

-David

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The USD is the default currency for paying for the VOA for Vietnam. If you pay in Viet Dongs and they owe you change, they will give it back to you in USDs -- that is where the US treasury ships all the $2 bills that people here do not like to carry around.;)

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  15. lanninh

lanninh New Member

Status Points:
    I do vietnam visa very cheap
    More: myvietnam-visa(dot)com
    Thanks

16. linusyanez

linusyanez Member

Status Points:
    i never thought vietnam visa can be so expensive .. good thing im from philippines and thy dont require us a visa ;)

17. zhoumin

zhoumin Active Member

Status Points:
    It is too expensive. Why you don't apply for visa on arrival which cost maximum 15 USD/ 1 month single entry visa + 45 USD stamping fee = 60 USD total.